Rigging gloves for Belleza Bento hands

Erik Hugo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been working with Blender for mesh clothes creation for a year now, and have found my way around most problems I encountered so far. Most dev-kits have their own little quirks and once you know about them you can solve the problems they cause.

One problem I have not gotten out of the way is rigging for Bento hands. Especially Maitreya and even more so: Belleza. Belleza's dev-kit bento hands can be imported and avastar can convert the rig, but does not provide the bones for the hands. Rigging to a standard avastar 2 skeleton really gives horrible results (deformed hands and fingers). The cause is most probably altered bones...

Does anyone know how to properly set up the Belleza bento hands (or cheeky question: has a blend-file with a properly set-up set of belleza (bodies and) hands) in Blender + Avastar 2. Editing the skeleton bones for the hands seems like a world of pain on it's own...

Alright... My goal was/is make a pack of elbow size and full size gloves and fingerless gloves for Maitreya / Belleza / Slink and Tonic. I've checked numerous fingerless gloves for bento hands on the MP and cannot find anyone who provides a pair for Belleza fingerless gloves. I guess I'll rig the Belleza normal gloves using Slink hands and I won't provide fingerless gloves for Belleza. 

If you are reading this @Belleza folks... I think the hands on the Belleza bodies look good, however... the Belleza bento hands-dev-kit seems to be 'problematic'.

If I am wrong please do tell (and let me know how to tackle this problem). So far no-one I know has been able to do so...

You might be right about the non-standard-skeleton: see this old thread:

Apparently it is easier to get devkits for something as weird and rare as bento kitten paws as for a mainstream mesh body's hands :(

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your heads up... even while the news wasn't that good ;)

Dev-kits and support from, for example, Tonic are way, way better then of the big three... I therefore really enjoy working with Tonic. Only problem with all new bodies is... which bodies to support, with all the new meshes it's kind of like the same situation as back in the day when all the brands had their own texture appliers... and I don't see a new mesh clothing Omega system on the horizon.  :(

I could make fingerless gloves using slink hands on one side and fit them on the Belleza arms on the other side. or just go with the previous plan: No fingerless gloves for Belleza users. 

57 minutes ago, Erik Hugo said:

I could make fingerless gloves using slink hands on one side and fit them on the Belleza arms on the other side. or just go with the previous plan: No fingerless gloves for Belleza users. 

Actually i dawned to me there might be yet another reason you might find no fingerless glove templates. Bellezza was late to the party. I mean freakin LATE. At that time everyone had Vista, Tuty, Maitreya or Slink hands... and at the time of that thread I even already stopped using any of those and moved on to Catseye bento paws...

And thanks for supporting the Tonics, ... those bodies deserves more attention. Btw, congrats on your fitmesh debut. Not bad for a first collection.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/11/2018 at 2:11 AM, Sari6t said:

hi Erik

im in the exact same spot with finger gloves for maitreya. I can rig them but they come out deformed. Did you solve the mystery?

Sari6t > so sorry, I did not see your reply... And no all this time (admitted, I have been gone for work for months and had no time to work on this) the solution has not presented itself. I've talked to a couple of ppl in SL and it usually gets down to: use Maya...

Unless you came across the solution somewhere this year...

I had also my fights with the Belleza Bento hand dev kit.

But finally I made it happen that my uploaded nails are rigged to the original belleza armature, in correct position & at correct size

used Blender 2.79 - Avastar installed - but not used this time

call the import Collada option and search for the dev kit dae file

Before clicking Import take a look at the left side down in the tab I used this settings (idea from https://avastar.machinimatrix.org/279/fragment/devkit-import-belleza/ )

Armature Option

Fix Leaf Bones - checked

Find Bone Chains - checked

Auto Correct - UNchecked

Keep Bind Info - UNchecked

-> import

I leave the import as it is (rotated/scaled)

I made my nails fit to the hands 

apply rotation/Scale/Location of nails so that in the Transform Tab the scale were set to 1

in object mode I scale my nails now up to 100

-> edit mode

shift +c to make sure 3d cursor is centered

a to select all - Pivot Center for Rotate/Scaling set to 3d cursor

s to scale it back to down to 0.01

Now my nails have the same size as before but when I now check the scale in object mode (transform tab) it is now 100 

-> select nails + shift +select armature

-> ctrl P - with empty groups (binds the nails to the armature)

-> select hand -> put it into Weight Paint Mode

-> +shift + select nails -> also Weight paint mode

-> Tools -> Transfer Weights (from active to selected)

Now the nails have also the skin weights from the belleza bento hand mesh

Export Collada [ Default ]

Operation Preset set to sl/open Sim Rigged

additional setting there - Keep Bind Info UNchecked

Upload to sl (used Firestorm)

include Skin weights - checked

DO NOT include joint position

ignored the small yellow warning "bind shape matrix is not in standard X-forward orientation"

Upload - and the fit perfectly ^^

Maybe this helps to get your fingerless gloves for belleza working

And no I'm not an expert ;) this is just the way what worked for me after endless experiments ^^ 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.