Buying Private Region

LadyIbex Shilova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Par, that was what I'd thought too...but the info I read said that monthly fees were paid in advance.

Maybe we are both right?  No monthly fee for the first month, but you pay in advance for the second and subsequent months?

Yes, no monthly fee for the first month, pay in advance for the second month & thereafter. I bought my region on August 8 & paid only the setup fee. The first time I was billed for the monthly maintenance fee was September 8. That payment covered September 8 - October 7.

• Like 2

Absolutely. First month teir is included for both full regions and homesteads from the Landstore. The first teir payment you make, and all subsequent are on the aniversary. It's not possible to change the date.

If you buy on 9/15 you will be billed for your first teir on 10/15, then 11/15, then 12/15 and so on. It's not 30 days or four weeks, it's one exact calendar month.

There is not much leeway for missed payments so make sure you have a few payment methods on file so that the Lab's systems can try them all.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

In addition.  The purchase price is a one-time cost.  Land fees are recurring, every month that that you own the land, including the first one.

If you are smart, you buy a region from another resident and pay a lower purchase price than LL will charge to set up a brand new region.

Edited by Rolig Loon

I wondered if Rolig was right, so I did some snooping around the Knowledge Base.

It turns out that (as usual!) she is right.  However, a couple of fine points.

1. On the Mainland, we pay tier "in arrears"...that is, we pay for the PREVIOUS month.  Land fees for private regions are paid "in advance"...for the COMING month. (This was what I was wondering about.)
  2. You might not be expecting that first month's fee, because it does not show up in your Shopping Cart when you order a region from the Land Store.  I got as far as the point where you click to place your order, and there was no mention that another $249 would be due at delivery.
  3. If you buy an existing region from another resident, you can save money, but be sure you know ALL the costs and who is going to pay them.
    1. Some regions are "grandfathered" under an earlier pricing structure, and only cost $195 per month.  This grandfathered status can be transferred to a new owner, but it's not automatic and an additional transfer fee is required.
    2. There is a fee for renaming an existing region, and also for moving it to another location on the grid.
    3. You must be clear on what day of the month the existing owner pays her monthly land fee.  You inherit that schedule as the new owner.  If she pays on the 12th, and you buy the region on the 14th, she pays for the first month that you own that region.  If you buy the region on the 11th, YOU pay for the coming month.
  4. If you buy from another resident, be sure you follow the correct procedure.  DO NOT pay them directly.  Follow the process here: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/managing-private-regions-r50/#Section_5
  5. Find private regions for sale here: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/284-regions-for-sale-full-private-island/

• Like 3

When I bought my region in August 2016, I paid $600 up front for the region to be created. I was not billed for the maintenance fee until September; the $600 covered the first month's maintenance fee. (And yes, the fee must be paid at the beginning of the month the fee covers.) Now that the price to buy a region is significantly less, that may have changed. Unfortunately, LL's documentation hasn't caught up with the price changes.

Additional Information: See the Buying Private Regions section of Buying Land in the Knowledge Base. It says that monthly fees begin 30 days from the date you complete your purchase.

Edited by Parhelion Palou
Found better information.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.