Avatar won't render, IMs won't send, groups won't load...

ContinentalPanther

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

Trying to log into my account the past 12 hours or so has been impossible. I either can't connect or, when I do, none of my communication devices work and my avatar won't render. I tried logging in with an alt, and it worked just fine - it could TP, send messages, and rendered. I'm using the latest version of firestorm on a high end PC with great internet speeds. The issue persisted across the account on two different computers on two different networks (home internet on laptop/desktop, cell phone hotspot to both as well) as well as Luminya on my cell phone. The problem was present before updating Firestorm and my laptop is still running the older version.

I've tried logging out and choosing home or different bookmarks to spawn at with no luck. Reset both computers. Checked antivirus. Disabled antivirus. Waited several hours. No luck. Tried stripping my avatar of everything he was wearing.

I was playing just fine last night, so I don't see what the problem is.

Edit: I'm also sometimes getting an error telling me my computer's clock is wrong, but it's synced to the internet and matches my phone's time. I can no longer log in on either account now.

Edited by ContinentalPanther
clarification

4 answers to this question

If time looks correct check you are using the right Time Zone. Probably not it, but check.

All the information you have provided suggests a network problem. Use this to troubleshoot it: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

A good Internet connection does not mean you have a good connection to the SL servers. So, check.

The Internet changes by the second. So, problems popup and magically disappear. Longer than 24 hours and you need to be looking for where the problem is. But, you can start sooner.

Restart your gateway-modem. If that doesn't work, turn it off and leave it off for an hour or more. Then power things back up.

If these quick things don't help, do the full trouble shoot.

4 hours ago, ContinentalPanther said:

Edit: I'm also sometimes getting an error telling me my computer's clock is wrong, but it's synced to the internet and matches my phone's time. I can no longer log in on either account now.

That might or might not be related to your initial issue.  That clock error message can be generated for a few reasons, most of which are easy to rule out.  If you have moved to a new time zone and your system clock hasn't recognized it yet, it can be out of sync.  That can also happen sometimes if your computer fails to recognize the change to/from Daylight Savings Time.  Also, very occasionally, the time will be fine but for some reason the date will be wrong -- set to 2017 instead of 2018.  All of those problems can be resolved by resetting your clock manually.  Finally, though .... your computer's clock is powered by a battery on your motherboard.  If the battery has died or is simply getting old, the clock will fail.  You can replace the battery yourself if you are mildly brave, or just take it to the shop and have a tech person do it.

I think it has to do with the firestorm update because i too had all of those problems groups not loading at all..kept saying my date and time do not match....inventory missing..parcel details were stuck..and for most of today as well.  My groups wouldnt load and it was showing as 42 groups free - 0 used. What a mess but what seemed to fix it doing a clean install  and downloading the 32 bit instead of the 64 bit fs update.  Im hoping a ticket will solve my store group issue it still says im the owner but i have no rights to send notices.. =/ but try the 32 bit update.. i havent had any problems minus my group not letting me send messages. best of luck

I should have remembered another major reason why that message appears.  If you are using an operating system that is no longer supported (like Windows XP), that will also kick up a bad clock error.  It's a matter of mismatched certificates.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.