Display Name Eaten By SL

Blizzard Panthar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Yesterday, I changed my display name from "Blizz" to "?????" with the username change ability under profile. It displayed for awhile, showed up in nearby chat properly, etc. Then, it vanished. Gone. Replaced by my whole account name. 

Due to how username changes work, I'm unable to change my name again for a week now. 

Am I not allowed to have such a display name, even though I see people with BUBBLE text names all the time?  If that's the case, the timer on changing my display name could at least be reset.

Bug, or not? Can my timer be reset?

5 answers to this question

Hi Blizz!

Second Life's system doesn't recognize a great many special characters and fonts.  When it doesn't, things work just like you've seen...the Display Name is rejected.  Thank you for at least choosing a Display Name that's pronounceable...those folks with names full of hearts and flowers drive me straight up a wall.  Still, you'll probably have lots better luck by just using standard text.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Blizzard Panthar said:

Yesterday, I changed my display name from "Blizz"

Ancient Oriental Philosopher, Computer-Fucious he say words of wisdom...

"Those who live by the unreadable unicode gibberish, die by the unreadable unicode gibberish"

Then, it vanished. Gone. Replaced by my whole account name.

Due to how username changes work, I'm unable to change my name again for a week now

WAI - Working As Intended... System automatically removes many of the worst examples of unreadable unicode gibberish.

I see people with BUBBLE text names all the time?

The auto cleanup system isn't perfect, and frankly, not all unreadable unicode gibberish is created equal, some characters will display, some will be 'boxes' on systems that don't have that particular foreign language installed, some will reset to the default login name.

Bug, or not?

Not... WAI - Working As Intended...

the timer on changing my display name could at least be reset

Ancient Oriental Philosopher, Computer-Fucious he say words of wisdom...

"Those who live by the unreadable unicode gibberish, die by the unreadable unicode gibberish"

So basically the answer would be a NO, if a Linden bothered to come in here and read this thread.

We're just users providing unpaid tech support, and we probably would say no too, if we had the power, which we don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Technically it's a bug: BUG-11555 - Setting certain characters in Display Name results in DN changing twice within minutes and resulting DN changes to Korean.

Using some of those fancy font characters in your display name will either cause your display name to change to Korean characters (if you set the DN via the web profile) or the DN will just revert to username if setting DN via the legacy profile in a TPV.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.