LovelyLisa001

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Can a SL merchant be reprimanded for their tactics? It's really very rude and sneaky the way some of them do their demo titling. One is tempted to search by adding to the criteria: NOT DEMO NOT demo NOT _DEMO NOT _demo NOT D+E+M+O NOT d+e+m+o and so on to infinity. These sh___y people should be boycotted for their lack of respect for people.Do they actually prosper by doing this? God I hope not. About the only way to beat them is to forget about freebies, and now 1L, and even 2L items. Start at 3L and you might not get pages full of demos. (or DEMOS, etc)

3 answers to this question

The merchants aren't really to blame that the Marketplace search engine is still very stupid when it comes to upper and lower case.  That's on LL.

Here's how a merchant profits from people getting their demo items as Search results (or at least, how they think they might profit):  The demo item shows up in my product search.  I'm looking for a free or low cost item, but the demo catches my eye.  I try it out, and decide that it's worth the money after all, so I buy a much more expensive item than I had originally planned.

Anyway, you have nothing to kvetch about.  How do merchants profit from your getting their freebie items, after all?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The merchants aren't really to blame that the Marketplace search engine is still very stupid when it comes to upper and lower case.  That's on LL.

I don't totally agree, if  a seller uses these term in his description or keywords its reportable.

If you cán drive 100 in a 45 zone you'r not to blame?

I too think the responsibility lies with the people that are going to great efforts to play the system. Granted the system could be better but it does work fairly well IF people list things as they should. 

Hopefully the shiny improvements in the new marketplace will fix the demo issue and the many listings of the same product issue and the gacha issue. Those seem to be the three top problems people point to the most. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.