Mesh details on my avatar

Karina Leborski

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a quick question. When I wear my mesh ears, I can see them clearly on the close ups, but even a bit of distance make me look earless (the kind of distance when I see all of me). If I change the graphic settings to the highest level, the distance is a bit bigger when the ears still visible. Is there something else, that I missing? I use standard SL viewer with latest update.

Thanks in advance!

LOD factor ;)

Each mesh is created with 4 level of detail models one is closeup and the farer away you go the lower levels will kick in, if the lower levels are modelled poorly it will disspear... 

brb I will link you a post by callum with simiar problems in hair

see here: same problem

here's an outside link to a blogpost with a very good explanation of the idea by Beq Janus ( I hope linking outside sources is OK here I never see it done but found no rule against it either):

https://beqsother.blogspot.de/2018/01/for-lods-sake-stop.html

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

Don't push your LOD above 4, in any case. Read this article for a better understanding as to why.

Quick summary of the most salient point:

Why is changing LOD Factor so bad?

The LOD Factor setting is a global adjustment; it affects everything that you see. Every object in view, no matter how large or small, will have its LOD behaviour altered according to that setting.

By the act of setting an arbitrarily high LOD Factor, because your favourite sofa at home crumples when you stand by the door, the viewer will be forced to draw the high detail model for all objects a lot more often. Consider the extreme case of a jewelled earing worn by one of the crowd in a shopping mall, perhaps no more than a few pixels on your screen. In spite of the size, the viewer will have to try to draw every facetted jewel and tiny metal clasp just because a designer was unwilling or unable to design a proper LOD model and told you to use a debug setting instead. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.