Fake Traffic?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wonder why Firestorm is so slow at populating the websearch window; other TPVs are much faster, as are the Linden viewers.

FWIW, I vastly prefer the websearch interface, compared to "classic" search. Also, it's very easy to sort the websearch Places results by traffic (ascending or descending). This link should illustrate. Once a quarter or so I might do that, usually to test out some script that needs lots of avatars to scan.

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

FWIW, I vastly prefer the websearch interface, compared to "classic" search. Also, it's very easy to sort the websearch Places results by traffic (ascending or descending). This link should illustrate. Once a quarter or so I might do that, usually to test out some script that needs lots of avatars to scan.

I also prefer it, but not for the same reason. The only time I ever use the classic search is when an account isn't showing in the websearch, and that's a rare occurence.

If you look at the two of them side by side, to me, you would think the classic search would be the new updated better one.  You get more information on your screen, you can easily see more of what is going on or offered.  I mostly use search for live shows, it was nice to see 20 or more entries on the screen as apposed to 4 or 5 in the web search window.  And now in some viewers the 'Events' is gone completely from the classic search, you can't search for Live Music, and that is what I would use it for.  So I'm stuck with the Web waste.

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I wonder why Firestorm is so slow at populating the websearch window; other TPVs are much faster, as are the Linden viewers.

There shouldn't be any difference in the time to populate the websearch window between FS & the LL viewer.
Both are slow as hell :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

There shouldn't be any difference in the time to populate the websearch window between FS & the LL viewer.
Both are slow as hell :ph34r:

I certainly agree there shouldn't be, but I just compared Firestorm and Catznip again to make sure I wasn't just blowing smoke, and it's really like night and day getting that web search window populated on my screen.

I wonder if maybe there could be some pre-fetching going on -- maybe even in the splash page? I really don't think this can be my imagination, or some freakishly- improbable repeated coincidence.

Well now I don't know anymore. Firestorm seems to be opening that page at about the same speed as either Catznip or the Linden viewer in my testing now.

I'm trying to convince myself that it could be that I use Firestorm more often when the grid + webserver is busy, compared to times I run the other viewers. It's not all that convincing, but I don't have any better ideas.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Well now I don't know anymore. Firestorm seems to be opening that page at about the same speed as either Catznip or the Linden viewer in my testing now.

I'm trying to convince myself that it could be that I use Firestorm more often when the grid + webserver is busy, compared to times I run the other viewers. It's not all that convincing, but I don't have any better ideas.

I know what you mean.
Sometimes web search/web profiles load very quickly & other times they are super slow. I've never noticed a pattern though & I've seen the same problem on all viewers.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.