Linking a door

nikita2004 Ashley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently manage to get a free gift from blueberry stores. It is a very beautifully build cottage that comes with 3 different versions.  However due to high prim, I can only take the version with the minimum prim (150).  I discover the door is not link but the other two versions do.  I would like to ask about how to link the door?  I did try to unlink the house but I ended up floating on the air.  I need some advice here. 

6 answers to this question

You don't, probably. There are many ways to script a door, so unless you know how the script in your door works, you take a big chance by unlinking/relinking it from the rest of the structure. It usually makes a difference whether the script is in the door or in some other part of the building, and it makes a difference whether it is in the root prim of the linkset.  Also, the script will need to know the link number of the door itself.  All of those things are known to the scripter (or to the builder who installs a door), but are not things that an average buyer knows or can usually figure out.  If you decide to try, I strongly suggest working with a copy of the original so that you retain a safe backup copy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nikita2004 Ashley said:

I recently manage to get a free gift from blueberry stores. It is a very beautifully build cottage that comes with 3 different versions.  However due to high prim, I can only take the version with the minimum prim (150).  I discover the door is not link but the other two versions do.  I would like to ask about how to link the door?  I did try to unlink the house but I ended up floating on the air.  I need some advice here. 

As Rolig said, it can be a bit complicated but if all you need to do is move the door and the house together, select one of them, then hold down the shift key and select the other.

A bit beside your question but if this is the cottage Blueberry gave away as a christmas group gift, please do it on a sky platform far away from anybody else. That thing is extremely render heavy and you don't really want to lag down your neighbors with it.

It is the blueberry gift.  I am not keen on the snow platform because it is too much prim.  I am interested on the stand alone cottage.  If only I can fix the door.  I will try to disect the snow platform door and place it on the other stand alone version cottage. Hopefully it works.  I am just let down, why would a creator give away unfinished gift?   It is such a waste and I have no knowledge at all on scripting. 

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

You don't, probably. There are many ways to script a door, so unless you know how the script in your door works, you take a big chance by unlinking/relinking it from the rest of the structure. It usually makes a difference whether the script is in the door or in some other part of the building, and it makes a difference whether it is in the root prim of the linkset.  Also, the script will need to know the link number of the door itself.  All of those things are known to the scripter (or to the builder who installs a door), but are not things that an average buyer knows or can usually figure out.  If you decide to try, I strongly suggest working with a copy of the original so that you retain a safe backup copy.

Yeah, I have many copies of it.  However after multiple tries.  I ve lost my interest completely.  It will be better that I build my own hse.  Will do it a couple of times this weekend otherwise just pass. 

On 2/20/2018 at 1:15 PM, nikita2004 Ashley said:

It is the blueberry gift.  I am not keen on the snow platform because it is too much prim.  I am interested on the stand alone cottage.  If only I can fix the door.  I will try to disect the snow platform door and place it on the other stand alone version cottage. Hopefully it works.  I am just let down, why would a creator give away unfinished gift?   It is such a waste and I have no knowledge at all on scripting. 

It might have been just sloppiness, but there are actually several reasons for NOT linking all the prims of a build.  It would seem that your house is an example of at least one, maybe two.

1.  The scripts in an important object don't work correctly if the object is a part of a linkset.  This may very well be the case for your door.
  2.  Some of the prims of the object need to be a different physical type than others.  To save on land impact costs, many builders enable the "convex hull" physics type.  However, this can create problems if prims are hollowed out or cut...because the convex hull physics ignores such features.  These prims have to be set to "prim" or "none" in order to work as expected.  If you linked parts of your house that were supposed to be phantom or prim, they may have changed to convex hull to match the rest of the linkset, and maybe that is why you ended up floating in the air.

When you go messing about with another creator's object, you really need to know what you're doing, and even so it is very easy to bollix it up.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.