PLEASE update the gamepad controller settings

Neon Aura

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Those settings and that panel are and have always been rather mislabeled.

The "joystick" configuration panel is not meant for a gamepad or traditional stick at all - it was meant for the 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator and similar hardware.

If you want to use a normal gamepad or joystick for Second Life you'll have to use something like Joy2Key.

Now if you do not want to go that route then I am afraid you're quite out of luck. I mean, you could open a JIRA entry on it but somehow I doubt you're the first to want such functionality. It just isn't a priority.

• Thanks 1

A joystick isn't that useful, because scripts can't read the joystick values. You can't fly an airplane or drive a car any better with a joystick than you can with the arrow keys. Joystick motion is just turned into arrow key pushes, so you still have poor control. I have a joystick hooked up and configured in SL, but seldom touch it.

• 1 year later...

The information is still quite accurate. Nothing has changed since then but i'd like to note that Black Dragon has made several attempts to make controllers (specifically Xbox360 Controllers) much more usable with remappable axes and buttons and several fixes and performance improvements regarding how the "joystick controls" work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd really like to see full game controller support in SL. Just let LSL have access to USB Human Interface Devices. Joysticks, game controllers, steering wheels, etc. mostly speak HID, and if SL spoke HID, it could talk to any of those devices. Then we could finally fly aircraft properly.

• Like 1

Not possible. The way controls play out would have to be changed, this means the physics would need changing. Right now everything has a constant movement speed, having full controller/steering wheel support would mean not emulating keyboard controls but rather making use of everything between not pressed and pressed, e.g only a quarter, half, two thirds and so on, right now there's only move or don't move. Pretty sure LL will never implement this, we've been asking for changeable movement speed for a long time, doing so would pave the way (although a bit hacky) for full controller/steering wheel support as you would be able to change how fast you'd like to move left or right, this in turn could be couple with "how much did you pull that trigger down or pull that steering wheel or stick over" and boom, driving vehicles would become much better, not to mention movement would be much finer.

Never ever will it happen, it's a super fundamental change and although it wouldn't break anything nor would it change how any current item would behave, it's something so basic that LL fears touching it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.