Adjustable clothing for larger sized avatars?

Jemma Wardell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My Avi is plus-sized like me in RL. I'm still sort of a noob after a year; just started to find some clothes, but unlike the default ones in the noob inventory, which always molded to my shape, I've been finding little modifiable clothing that can be made large enough to fit me. To make it wider, it gets too long, etc. How can I tell when shopping if something will fit, or if it can be made to fit?

Any help appreciated :)

One problem with that will always be prim parts. My "me" avatar (as opposed to my "old time prims model" avatar) is more naturally shaped (not plus-sized, but I actually have a butt), and I find I have to adjust almost everything. It's not a shame on the designers by any means. Just that "clothing" items "glue" to your shape and move with it, and prim parts, as of now, stay their own size until you change them. Meshes should change that, but not an option yet.

I do want to note that, while you can check the listed inventory when you're buying something from a standard box sale, be aware that, just because an object says "No modify," doesn't mean the object (the prim part) is actually no-mod. A script in the object might be no-mod, while the rest is copy/mod. So it'll say "no-mod" in the inventory, but you can modify it. I do put some trust in what the advertisement actually says (copy/mod is good). I know, some folks will grouse about shopkeepers not being totally honest about the perms in their adverts, but I've yet to run into that problem, and I've been here since 2006. Read what the adverts say (either in the marketplace, or in-world), and ask the owner if you're really uncertain.

The problem with "resize scripts" will usually be that they just make everything bigger by one formula (x, y and z coordinates ALL get bigger, when maybe you only needed X to do so), which is a problem for larger avatars. Have you learned to use the standard SL edit tools yet? In these cases, I usually recommend using the "edit single prim" options, to sort of pull it out how I need.

If you buy only modifiable clothing you can sort of "resize" each of the prim parts to fit your avie...a resize script is not much help, it will make it bigger or littler overall but it won't make it "fit" your body.

But, to do this you will need to invest in bit of learning...take all the free building classes you can find in Search/Events/Education.  It does not matter what you learn to build; the principles of building with prims and sculpts are the same no matter if you are building a house, a magic wand or making things like clothes, hair or jewelry fit your avatar.

This is really a suggestion for all those new to SL...even if you have a average sized avie, everyone is shaped differently. Very little will fit everyone right out of the box and for a polished avatar things should fit perfectly.

Good luck!

PS the classes are also a good way to meet others!

Avoid all that has "Resizer" in the description. A resizer does not make clothing modifiable, just resizable. You should also learn how to edit linked prims, especially stretch just one side.

Try to join some classes at NCI, or find "Building tutorials" on Youtube. Don't be confused when they call it "building". It is all working with prims, and you use the same techniques on prim clothes. For a skirt, I would stretch it so it fitted my waist, and then select the prims one by one, and shorten them until I was happy with it.

Always take a copy of what you will modify first... Then you can start with a new copy if you mess up.

I don't think one should avoid all that has "resizer" in the description. Just because it has "resizer," does not necessarily mean it's bad, and you can be losing out on a lot of cool stuff by ignoring anything with a resizer. Certain copy-only items with resizers can even be fine. It depends on where they're worn.

If it has a resizer AND prims are copy/mod, THEN you should be completely okay. A lot of designers, myself included, moved (or are moving) to a resizer PLUS copy/mod perms on the prims. So, for those that want to just use the script, it's there. And for those who want to edit the prims, they can. Best of both worlds, in my opinion. The majority of my customers do prefer and use the script because, for average avatars (which most newer folks use), it works. But some prefer the copy/mod perms, and modding the prims.

Hi Jemma! I'd like to invite you to my store, Therapy Casual Sexy Clothes, and if you find anything you like I will mod it for you until it fits just how you like it. I have many styles that are complementary to fuller figured avatars. You may just need a little coaching to brush up on your editing skills as well - so IM me if you'd like some help.

Well personally I will not buy clothing that is not mod or just has resizer.   There are so many clothes to choose from that are mod see no need to mod my avatar just to fit a particular outfit.  I think the only thing I miss by avoiding no mod or resize is clothes that would fit badly so not missing anything...just imo

Mila Edelman wrote:

I don't think one should avoid all that has "resizer" in the description. Just because it has "resizer," does not necessarily mean it's bad, and you can be losing out on a lot of cool stuff by ignoring anything with a resizer. Certain copy-only items with resizers can even be fine. It depends on where they're worn.

There are two big problems from resizer clothes. First is the problem that the vast majority of resizers have at least one script in every prim.  This means a single, simple skirt brings along 25 or more scripts by itself.  Second is the inability to do anything other than scale in place.  If all it needs is a little tweak, this is fine.  If you have a life-sized avatar and need to reduce a long skirt to fit your shape you can forget about doing it with a resizer script.  With a modifiable skirt, it is easy to go prim by prim on the skirt panels and with "stretch both sides" turned OFF, slide them up to a reasonable size all without the need to reposition a single piece.  I do not buy no mod skirts.  Ever.  No matter how much I like it or the person that made it.  I have thrown away too many in the past that simply can not be made to fit with scripts alone.

Thanks all, for the information and suggestions. I've been too intimidated to try building anything myself but I might look into those building classes and to learn more about prims and scripts. And now I know much more about what to look for when acquireing clothing. :)

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Mila Edelman wrote:

There are two big problems from resizer clothes. First is the problem that the vast majority of resizers have
at least
one script in every prim.  This means a single, simple skirt brings along 25 or more scripts by itself.  Second is the inability to do anything other than scale in place.  If all it needs is a little tweak, this is fine.  If you have a life-sized avatar and need to reduce a long skirt to fit your shape you can forget about doing it with a resizer script.  With a modifiable skirt, it is easy to go prim by prim on the skirt panels and with "stretch both sides" turned OFF, slide them up to a reasonable size all without the need to reposition a single piece.  I do not buy no mod skirts.  Ever.  No matter how much I like it or the person that made it.  I have thrown away too many in the past that simply can not be made to fit with scripts alone.

I am aware of how resizers work. And I am aware of their limitations. Personally, my new resizer, which does the same thing as the old, is one script only, not one script per prim. The old one, save in a few cases (which will change, as soon as I get to those items), still was deletable, and I left a notecard in the package, instructing users on how to delete it. For its day, it was very good, and very useful to most.

My main point is that, if an item is copy/mod AND has a resizer, it shouldn't be skipped. For a lot of people (the vast majority), it's useful, and that's why designers like myself include it. The resizer can be removed (whether by the script itself, by hand, or with Phoenix's handy dandy "remove all scripts" tool). Simply because it isn't useful to you (you're welcome to remove it), doesn't mean we shouldn't consider the rest of our customers.

Copy-only jewelry, however, is different. Most jewelry doesn't need to be mod, in my experience and opinion. And if it was, all users would do is resize with standard "bigger or smaller" resizing anyway. Very few users want to zero in on their avatar and spend days moving 200 prims just to fit their avatar perfectly.

Jemma,

Welcome to the club!

Fitting clothes, nice looking clothes, to the larger avi has always been a problem. I started 5 years ago and when all 5 BBW avis in SL at the time got together, that was always one of the major topics!

A couple of thoughts:

Pants will always fit, but details are often lost when "painted" on our larger bodies. Capris can be nice or gauchos, especially if the flair section is mod.

A pair of nice implants, appropriately sized and with the right clothing can make a lot of difference on a larger avi

System skirts suck

Prim boots are next to impossible to fit if you have thicker, curvy legs

Prim skirts can sometimes work, depending on the design of the skirt (does it have some flair or is is really just a tube?) as well as your body contour. Wide hips can cause a lot of skirts to fail

Other posters have argued the merits and issues with resizers. Sometimes they work well, sometimes not and it's hard to tell until you get into the item.

99% of the dealings I have had with designers in SL over fitting, mod rights and returns have been fantastic, better than RL! Send a notecard, be nice, ask your question or describe your problem, maybe suggest a solution and almost, almost always, the person will come through for you and help, sometimes in ways that will blow you away!

Hair is easy to resize and like in RL, can make a huge difference in your appearance

Jewelry can be a hassle. Earrings are easy, necklaces difficult and rings can be either. Most designers can mod an item for you to fit if they actually did the design, the shape works with enlarging and you ask nice. I have been surprised over and over by jewelry designers in SL!

Everyone says it, but skin and lighting really do interact with your shape in strange ways. For the larger avi, the effects are magnified. Always try a demo, mess a bit with lighting and see how you look. Remember to toss the demo skins afterwards or you end up with 5000 skin demos and wonder how that happened...

A couple of stores to try:

C&J's Boutique: inworld and on the Marketplace

FluffyGirl: lots of clothes, skins, poses and animations and complete avatars for BBWs in SL

My friend Rozza Wirefly has a store full of BBW-appropriate clothing, just do a search for her inworld or on the Marketplace

The shops at the BBW Beach Club.

Good luck, and feel free to contact me inworld if you need any help.

~Jenni~

Actually, you bring up an interesting question of mine.

I have had a lot of larger avis stop in my store, and tell me that they like my outfits on their shapes. So I feel a bit of success in that. I guess, because my own avatar is more normally shaped (read: with curves), I DO consider the needs of non-Twiggy avatars.

While I do check my designs with my chunkier, personal avatar, and it comes out fine, I am not quite sure about how common, larger avatars are put together. I'd play with the sliders, but I'd like to think I am using a BBW avatar that would more commonly be used in the BBW community, and work from that.

Is there a good place to get such shapes?

(Or would some of you send me yours?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.