Issue with shoes

Armatimyst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Most shoes are now made for avatars using mesh feet. These do not come with Alpha layers anymore, which you need to dover the pointy end of your heel. Believe it or not, that was what the hip heels were like eons ago. You need to find shoes that are compatible with the classic avatar, and have alpha layers with them. Or even alpha prims.

Just now, Armatimyst said:

Since I joined recently, I have been barefoot, as I cannot get shoes to look right. The ugly, flesh-toned, pointy heel base always shows. Is there any way to rectify this? Other people I see look fine

Right now most people in Second Life are wearing separate mesh feet that completely hide the original base feet and most shoes are made for them now.

You can still find older shoes that work with the default feet but in order to hide what you're seeing you need to wear the "alpha" file that should come with the shoes - the icon for it looks like a white T-shirt with lines on it.

Some very old shoes use a different way of hiding feet called an "invisiprim" but they only work with certain graphics settings now. For these shoes you may have to do some scavenging and find an alpha from another pair of shoes (a demo will be fine; also there are some alphas that come with the SL default avatars.)

If your shoes don't come with an alpha layer, you can get a set of shoe alphas free at the Marketplace, which might contain something useful.

But if you want to wear strappy shoes, normal alphas won't work. An old solution to that was to wear a full-foot alpha and shoes with built-in feet, but it was very hard to match skin tones with those. You can still find them floating around.

The modern solution is to wear mesh feet, or a full mesh body, and shoes designed to fit them.

If you "shop" shoes in Freebie Dungeon type places, you will find utter crap.

If you can buy a few thousand Linden dollars, then I would recommend the Slink mesh feet. The number of shoes made for them is enormous.

If you can't buy any money, try to hunt for them in Linden realms. I have never done it myself, but you can search "Linden realms" and find information of how to play.

I can't recommend many shoes for the classic default feet. I have deleted all my old shoes. I remember only one brand, and they sell their pumps for 10L on the Marketplace. They even have demos. I will recommend you to get the alpha pack recommended by angeoco over here, and then demos for the pumps. Try them together and see how you like it. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/12753?utf8=✓&search[layout]=gallery&search[category_id]=66&search[sort]=price_asc&search[per_page]=96&search[keywords]=&search[price_low]=&search[price_high]=&search[prim_count_low]=&search[prim_count_high]=&search[copy_permission]=0&search[modify_permission]=0&search[transfer_permission]=0

Edit to add: These alpha layers might work best for high heel type shoes. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Alpha-Layers-for-Lomu-Design-Shoes-Bug-fix/5503996

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, janetosilio said:

On a side note do those stores that made really good prim shoes back in the day like Deborah’s still exist? Even on MP?

I have seen Deborah's and Shelly Laufer prim made shoes on the markeplace in the last few months and and lots of people trying to flog those awful full perm freebie store "Ronjas" shoes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.