You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hellow everyone!

I'm purchasing a 512 sqm parcel to install a skybox home. Of course, I'll be inviting all my friends to visit.

I need advice on how to setup security against peeping-toms and any other forms of intrusion. But I also would like to know if there is any way to prevent invited guests from landmarking while inside my home. I want to avoid any uninvited appearances.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Robert AKA ChoiceRider - SL resident (35 days old)

1 hour ago, ChoiceRider said:

Hellow everyone!

I'm purchasing a 512 sqm parcel to install a skybox home. Of course, I'll be inviting all my friends to visit.

I need advice on how to setup security against peeping-toms and any other forms of intrusion. But I also would like to know if there is any way to prevent invited guests from landmarking while inside my home. I want to avoid any uninvited appearances.

Thank you very much,

I use a security orb for areas on my sim that are private.  (There are a few on the marketplace.  Check for one that does what you need) The one I have can be set to only allow certain people on a whitelist, or grant temporary access ie if I wanted to have a friend over for a short period,  only group members or just turn on and off as needed.  You should check there are no restrictions to this in your covenant.  

In land settings you can untick the setting see and talk to people on this parcel  (it might be worded slightly different to that)  then "peeping toms" not on your parcel can't see any avatars. 

There is no way you can stop people land marking a spot though as far as I am aware.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, I can't believe how fast you kind people were willing to reply to my post! Thank you so much.

3 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:
5 hours ago, ChoiceRider said:

Hellow everyone!

Thank you very much,

I use a security orb for areas on my sim that are private.  (There are a few on the marketplace.  Check for one that does what you need) The one I have can be set to only allow certain people on a whitelist, or grant temporary access ie if I wanted to have a friend over for a short period,  only group members or just turn on and off as needed.  You should check there are no restrictions to this in your covenant.  

In land settings you can untick the setting see and talk to people on this parcel  (it might be worded slightly different to that)  then "peeping toms" not on your parcel can't see any avatars. 

There is no way you can stop people land marking a spot though as far as I am aware.  

"security orb" Never heard of this. Shopping now for your recommendation now. Awesome prospect  = D. I'm studying the pros and cons of building on the land or installing a skybox home, but realize there must be regulations concerning this. Do you suppose the "security orb" might work with a skybox?

Thanks, Cindy Evanier

Edited by ChoiceRider

9 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

Do you suppose the "security orb" might work with a skybox?

Yes.  the one I use has options for just certain areas, the whole parcel etc

Really easy to set up even for a blonde like me :D  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Land-Security-Orb-the-ORIGINAL-since-2006-by-Thomas-Conover/2471709   

There are others that might have different options I just know with that one I can secure our work platform up in the sky by using the menu settings or the whole sim if I am feeling cranky :) or turn it off or add a temporary visitor

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You can set a teleport landing point on the ground. Any lms they set inside your skybox will have them land on the ground when they use it.

"set a teleport landing point"  I know the application of this concept from trying to landmark at specific location points from inside a particular site, yet it may continue to maintain its original landing point. Great idea and most useful! How is this implemented, is there some kind of option to edit, found in some land management tool?

Thank you,  BilliJo Aldrin

25 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Yes.  the one I use has options for just certain areas, the whole parcel etc

Really easy to set up even for a blonde like me :D  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Land-Security-Orb-the-ORIGINAL-since-2006-by-Thomas-Conover/2471709   

There are others that might have different options I just know with that one I can secure our work platform up in the sky by using the menu settings or the whole sim if I am feeling cranky :) or turn it off or add a temporary visitor

Blondes have more fun? Your orb is so inexpensive as well. By adding a temporary visitor, do you mean to say that there is a "Teleport to my location" option?

Thanks, Cindy Evanier

Edited by ChoiceRider
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

"set a teleport landing point"  I know the application of this concept from trying to landmark at specific location points from inside a particular site, yet it may continue to maintain its original landing point. Great idea and most useful! How is this implemented, is there some kind of option to edit, found in some land management tool?

Presuming you are using the LL viewer:

Stand where you want any visitors using a landmark to arrive.
Top menu bar of the viewer - World -> About Land -> Options
Set the Landing point & set Teleport Routing to "Landing Point" if you want all Residents to land at your specified landing point or set to "Blocked" if you want to prevent Residents from teleporting to your parcel. If someone tries, they'll land outside the parcel.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

I think its in options in the about land, "set teleport landing point"

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Presuming you are using the LL viewer:

Stand where you want any visitors using a landmark to arrive.
Top menu bar of the viewer - World -> About Land -> Options
Set the Landing point & set Teleport Routing to "Landing Point" if you want all Residents to land at your specified landing point or set to "Blocked" if you want to prevent Residents from teleporting to your parcel. If someone tries, they'll land outside the parcel.

I was turned on to the awesome recommendation from a mature SL resident early on, to install Firestorm viewer. A very wise mentor.

I so appreciate your precise and clear instructions. Ideally, I would prefer, if possible, to block all inbound tp, yet be able to offer, teleport to my location' while in my home. Also, considering these suggested settings, would I myself be able to tp into my own home?

Thank you, Whirly Fizzle

Edited by ChoiceRider

26 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

Blondes have more fun? Your orb is so inexpensive as well. By adding a temporary visitor, do you mean to say that there is a "Teleport to my location" option?

Thanks, Cindy Evanier

No. I mean if someone arrives withing the orbs security area that you have set,  a menu will pop up for you to give options such as ban, add to access or allow temporary access

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

No. I mean if someone arrives withing the orbs security area that you have set,  a menu will pop up for you to give options such as ban, add to access or allow temporary access

That's just extremely AWESOME!!!

Thanks, Cindy Evanier

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Anyone else curious what is going to be happening at this Fort Knox style skybox?   I for one would never dream of turning up at someones home uninvited even if I have been invited in the past.  

HAHAHAHA  = D

So cute, being a blonde and all. hehe (Cindy Evanier)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You can set a teleport landing point on the ground. Any lms they set inside your skybox will have them land on the ground when they use it.

This is true. Does not solve the peeping issue if your skybox is higher than about 70 meters.

So here's the extreme method to creating what you are talking about:

Build your place on the ground or within 50 meters of it.

Set the privacy option s on your parcel so that no one can see avatars on your parcel (meaning they cannot cam into your parcel and see avatars)

Set all sounds and voice to be "restricted to this parcel"

Set access to Group Only.

There, now you have a locked-down parcel with more privacy than anyone has had in SL before.

Here are the caveats to this: Access = group only creates ban lines and THAT SUCKS for everyone else. In the old days, you could see ban lines from much farther away, easier to avoid them and if you bumped into one you where bounced back. Nowadays you cannot see them until you are right on top of them and bumping into them is as bad as those F*CKING dumb*ss "security orb" set to zero warning: they throw you to the edge of a sim or worse: TP you home. So basically if you set this up this way you *could* be one of those D*ckheads - unless it is located in a sparsely-traveled area.

Caveat two is: To invite your friends you have to add them to your group, then remove them from your group when done, or: change access to anyone during visiting hours then change it back to the group when done.

The alternative (for the landmarking thing) is exactly as described by Billijo: Set TP landing to the ground when using a skybox. But no way to keep peepers out. I keep my own draw distance set to 1024 - I can cam three sims away and see everything. However, no one really cares what naughty you may be doing other than curious newbies; most in SL for more than a month or two really just don't care much.

Edited by Qa Boa
Minor typo correction
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Qa Boa said:

Here are the caveats to this: Access = group only creates ban lines and THAT SUCKS for everyone else. In the old days, you could see ban lines from much farther away, easier to avoid them and if you bumped into one you where bounced back. Nowadays you cannot see them until you are right on top of them and bumping into them is as bad as those F*CKING dumb*ss "security orb" set to zero warning: they throw you to the edge of a sim or worse: TP you home. So basically if you set this up this way you *could* be one of those D*ckheads - unless it is located in a sparsely-traveled area.

I have ban lines turned off. I only know they are there when i bump into one and get the "not allowed onto parcel" message

I've never been bounced to the sim edge or set home, unless of course the whole sim is set with ban lines.

:)

• Thanks 1

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I have ban lines turned off. I only know they are there when i bump into one and get the "not allowed onto parcel" message

I've never been bounced to the sim edge or set home, unless of course the whole sim is set with ban lines.

Try it while sailing a boat or flying an aircraft (while "sitting" on something). :)

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ChoiceRider said:

I was turned on to the awesome recommendation from a mature SL resident early on, to install Firestorm viewer. A very wise mentor.

I so appreciate your precise and clear instructions. Ideally, I would prefer, if possible, to block all inbound tp, yet be able to offer, teleport to my location' while in my home. Also, considering these suggested settings, would I myself be able to tp into my own home?

Thank you, Whirly Fizzle

It's actually the same method on the Firestorm viewer, except the "About Land" option under World is called "Parcel Details"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Qa Boa said:

This is true. Does not solve the peeping issue if your skybox is higher than about 70 meters.

So here's the extreme method to creating what you are talking about:

Build your place on the ground or within 50 meters of it.

Set the privacy option s on your parcel so that no one can see avatars on your parcel (meaning they cannot cam into your parcel and see avatars)

Set all sounds and voice to be "restricted to this parcel"

Set access to Group Only.

There, now you have a locked-down parcel with more privacy than anyone has had in SL before.

Caveat two is: To invite your friends you have to add them to your group, then remove them from your group when done, or: change access to anyone during visiting hours then change it back to the group when done.

The alternative (for the landmarking thing) is exactly as described by Billijo: Set TP landing to the ground when using a skybox. But no way to keep peepers out. I keep my own draw distance set to 1024 - I can cam three sims away and see everything. However, no one really cares what naughty you may be doing other than curious newbies; most in SL for more than a month or two really just don't care much.

ouch!
But I don't wanna be a "D*ckheads" HAHAHA!!!
I've laughed my guts out reading your post, though your insights are spot on. It will assuredly save me much time and frustration. Thank you for spending your time spelling it all out for me.

Thanks, Qa Boa

Edited by ChoiceRider
typo

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So there is a solution to this issue of damaging the sensibilities of unaware SL residents.

Thanks, BilliJo Aldrin

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

It's actually the same method on the Firestorm viewer, except the "About Land" option under World is called "Parcel Details"

Yes, there are many differences between the SL default viewer and Firestorm obviously. Despite my very limited knowledge concerning SL, I still try, what I can, to help especially the 1-day olders just to function. So I keep the default viewer to refer to, in order to know just what they're looking at.

Thanks for making that distinction Whirly Fizzle

• Like 1

If you allow TP into the parcel, then anyone could see you at any height.  And once they TP to the ground set landing point, they can easily fly up to wherever the skybox is.

Basically, anyone you allow onto the parcel can then get to any location on the parcel unless you have a Security Orb protecting part of the parcel.  Yet that still will not prevent the peeping if they are already on the parcel.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.