llSetRegionPos question

Rhiannon Arkin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nova is correct, I'm sure.   As far as the simulator is concerned, llSetRegionPos moves the object to the target directly, without passing through intervening space.   That's why it's not affected by restrictions on parcel entry in intervening parcels as was warpPos, the workaround we had to use  back in the old days before we had llSetRegionPos.

However, between them the simulator, your GPU and your CPU try to interpolate the movement, and that's where the problem is coming from.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1

llSetRegionPosition() is indeed imprecise. In my experience a deviation from input coordinates may be as high as 1 meter along one of the axes even though it happens rarely, not every time. If precision is required, instead of calling llSetRegionPosition() I usually call a 2-line user function:

SetRegionPosition(vector destination)
{
  llSetRegionPos(destination);
  if(llGetPos() != destination) llSetPos(destination);
}          

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ela, i did end up using this idea and first tp to a spot just 10 meters before the target then again to the target. 

But for other reasons, the reason for my imprecision was that my sittarget has an offset so the avatar briefly appears away from the target in the moment of arrival, which looks like the setRegionPos misses, but it actually is pretty much where it should be. 

thanks!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.