WOW! Dress complexity

Zsigmond Alcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Donovan Michalski said:

I told her it was time for some shoe shopping.  xD

I thought it was always time for shoe shopping.

I buy them all the time, even though I'm barefoot 90% of the time in SL.

Note on the dress rework: THe fact that you can hack complexity scores to get them to be lower than the actual complexity of a mesh is known and how it is done was even posted on these forums... actually posted in a critique AGAINST one of my points.... basically by someone rebutting me.

So be wary of a rework of that item. View the rework, when it comes, in wireframe mode.

- I still call out high complexity. The conclusion she should have reached is that we also need to find low-complexity hacks and call them out AS WELL...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

The dress could be as simple as linking the wrong parts together. For instance, if you link a torus to a mesh object, the LI will skyrocket.

As for the flexi, that's here to stay. I can't imagine a gown that doesn't flow. That short dress looks like it has a lot of layers that had transparency and flexi. One way that's helping is mesh parts with flexi added for movement.

Bling will add huge amts of complexity. Older shoes, particularly the ones from a designer that is no longer in SL was horrible on scripting. Some older stuff has resizers that have a child script in every prim. I once had an outfit that had a lot of fancy prim work in the tassels and studs. Between the outfit and the boots it had over 800 scripts in it. Fortunately it was mod and Firestorm has the remove scripts function.

• 5 months later...

I was inventory cleaning and came upon this old gown that I loved.  Put in on for nostalgia sake (which also meant reverting back to my system avatar) and I almost choked on the CI value -- almost 2,800,000.  I decided to pair it with a super high CI hair and a really high CI necklace, both also found while cleaning inventory.  My total CI for this outfit came in at 2,884,640.
5a653663c5daf_OldExtremelyHighCIOutfit.thumb.jpg.48e6da00337943cb688d4070c2b9111b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Magnek Fang said:

I get hives if I ever go past 200,000. Even now I am trying phase out invisiprims and flexi hair.

For my general SL time, I try to keep it under 50,000 and definitely under 75,000.  However, I don't typically worry about CI at all for pictures - though I will keep CI down if my picture taking is happening some place where there are very many other folks.

I did gasp when I saw the CI on this gown, though the gown itself is actually pretty typical of gowns that so many of us wore many years ago.

• Like 1

I want to point something else out bout complexity, rather something complexity fails to take into account: memory.

Right now you can come in at a reasonably low render weight and yet have a worse impact on performance than any avatar around you, simply through excessive texture use. Avatars with render weight around 60-80k, but with 500MB to a GB or more of textures slapped on them are frustratingly common. There's currently no tools to measure this or manage it on ones own, but such a tool has been submitted to both LL and Firestorm, so hopefully we'll see that become common in the near future. This is something people really need to be talking about because such excessive texture use is usually the biggest culprit behind the everyday performance issues and low framerates everyone experiences in SL.

Throw that in with fixing how render weight is calculated, how land impact is calculated, and closing that loophole for render weight where creators simply cull the lower level of detail models that no one will ever see anyway and LL has a clear list of things they could fix that would help drastically improve the way SL runs for everyone.

lol! the only time i've seen something like this was when my sister was wearing these big demon horns from SN. derendered them to find the things where nearly 450k complexity on their own. can't say i've ever seen something that high but i'm gonna be a bit more cautious around older items now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.