Land division issues

Kimmy Sweetwater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi.

So I just rented a plot of land. I have subdivided it into a few small plots. One of the plots I wanted to set to a different group so group members only had access. When I did that a load of my building whooshed into my L&F folder and put a LI limit of next to nothing on that plot. Also, it's now not letting me set to a group etc.....almost like I don't own the land (despite it saying it it owned by my group in the land info)

Now I can't rejoin the plot to the main part of the land. It comes up with this: You selected land with different owners. Please select a smaller area and try again.

Plus....to add insult to injury......every man and his dog can access the plot despite it being group access only O_O

Any help as to why this has done it....how to link back to land and to get it so only group members can enter a plot will be GREATLY appreciated :))

6 answers to this question

If you've never done much with land management, it can be quite confusing.  Rule #1:  Before you change ownership on any land, turn AutoReturn OFF.  Then remember that you must check ownership of everything on the land if you ever intend to turn it back ON again.  Otherwise, things will be returned to their owners immediately, as you have discovered.

If you are subdividing land, remember that as the owner, you may still treat the resulting parcels as if they were one piece of land, as far as the L.I. calculation is concerned.  That is, the L.I. that you are allowed to use is the sum of the L.I. on all parcels that you own in the region.  You are allowed to use the entire allowance on just one parcel, if you wish, using the rest of the land as a "L.I. Bank".   Remember, however ....

Rule #2: If you deed one of the new subdivided areas to another person or group, you may no longer count its L.I. allowance in your total.  Therefore, If you have put a lot of objects on one end of the original parcel, their L.I. may be greater than the allowance on that land after you change ownership on the other parcel.  Again, things may be returned to their owners if you have AutoReturn ON.  [EDIT:  Actually, in this case they will be returned no matter what you do with AutoReturn.]

Rule #3:  You may not join parcels together unless you are the owner of both parcels.  It doesn't matter whether you own the group that owns one of them.  You are not the group.

So, to join the parcels again, you will need to sell the group-owned parcel to yourself first.  Or, you will need to deed the second parcel to the group.  Once you have done that, you should be able to join the parcels and set all of the parcel options (assuming that you are the group's owner or at least have a role in the group that allows you to do those things).

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

BTW, you may want to take the free course that Lindal Kidd offers every Saturday at 12 noon SLT in Caledon Oxbridge University, on How To Buy and Rent Land in SL.  As you can guess from the title of the course, the class isn't meant to deal with the mechanics of dividing and joining parcels, but it will give you a better feel for some of the ownership/permission issues you are raising.  And Lindal is a good egg.  She can answer a lot of knotty questions outside of the class.  ;)

• Like 1

Hi :)

Thanks for your reply.

I have subdivided land a few times on my sim but have never attempted to set it to a different group. 

I have managed to rejoin the 2 plots by reselling the land to myself. 

So, there is no way to have part of my building set so only members of another group can access without it affecting the prim allowance and a load of stuff being returned to me? 

That's a complicated question, so it's hard to answer cleanly.  If you subdivide the land, you could create a building that has its root on one parcel and extends onto the other one.  If one parcel was deeded to your group, its rules about rezzing, etc. would apply on that parcel but not the other one.  Set that parcel to allow rezzing by group members only.  Assume that group members have roles that allow them to rez objects on group-owned land.  If so, then they may rez things in that end of the building, but non-group members can't.  They won't be able to rez more stuff than the parcel's L.I. allowance permits, so that's not a worry.  You just have to remember that the allowance only applies to that parcel.  It does not count whatever is on the parcel that the group does not own.  You can do anything you like with the other parcel, as long as you stay within its L.I. allowance. 

Just remember that Rule #1.  If you are going to use an AutoReturn for any reason, be sure that you have it turned OFF before you mess with land that already has things on it.  At least until you can be sure that everything on that land is set to the group that owns it.  Personally, I don't like AutoReturn because it can cause more headaches than it resolves

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

BTW, you may want to take the free course that Lindal Kidd offers every Saturday at 12 noon SLT in Caledon Oxbridge University, on How To Buy and Rent Land in SL.  As you can guess from the title of the course, the class isn't meant to deal with the mechanics of dividing and joining parcels, but it will give you a better feel for some of the ownership/permission issues you are raising.  And Lindal is a good egg.  She can answer a lot of knotty questions outside of the class.  ;)

I have been known to hold a subdividing and terraforming seminar after class, for interested students.

• Like 2

I think you may be able to do what you want by not deeding the parcel to a group, but merely SETTING it to that group.  Wear your group tag, go to About Land, General tab, and click the SET button, but not the Deed button.

Now you should be able to allow only group members to rez on that parcel, or limit access to group members.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.