• 0
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Esther Lowbeam

high quality video recoding

Question

Hello!

Any tips for refining the quality of the viewer in second life in order to create high quality videos?

Thank you,

Esther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

  • 0
15 minutes ago, Esther Lowbeam said:

 

Any tips for refining the quality of the viewer in second life in order to create high quality videos?

 

depends totally on your machine... if you give some more info about the graphics card and pc specs the video makers here can point you on some details perhaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Esther Lowbeam said:

Hello!

Any tips for refining the quality of the viewer in second life in order to create high quality videos?

Thank you,

Esther

In my tests the best audio has come from third party add-ins. I am using Flashback Express -- free but somewhat limited if you don't also have video post production software. You can also opt to get the premium version of the product (I didn't need it but I don't think it is terribly expensive.  Recordings from the viewer are typically not as clear -- at least to my ear. I can even strip the audio from the clips or sometimes just record a boring blank screen in order to GET that audio.   So it really depends on how you plan to work and what your end product is. 

I will say that the audio from Flashback (note that it only does 10fps so not good for capturing movement or cams but does fine just with talking heads shots or other simple inworld video).

Here is an example: 

 

 

 

Edited by Chic Aeon
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

depends totally on your machine... if you give some more info about the graphics card and pc specs the video makers here can point you on some details perhaps.

Thanks. It's a Mac OS Sierra, retina 13inch. Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

In my tests the best audio has come from third party add-ins. I am using Flashback Express -- free but somewhat limited if you don't also have video post production software. You can also opt to get the premium version of the product (I didn't need it but I don't think it is terribly expensive.  Recordings from the viewer are typically not as clear -- at least to my ear. I can even strip the audio from the clips or sometimes just record a boring blank screen in order to GET that audio.   So it really depends on how you plan to work and what your end product is. 

I will say that the audio from Flashback (note that it only does 10fps so not good for capturing movement or cams but does fine just with talking heads shots or other simple inworld video).

Here is an example: 

 

 

 

Thanks Chic, actually I'm referring to the visual quality, I will overlay the sound on top of the video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Sorry that was me being dense (or tired) :D. Visual quality is pretty easy in general. Most of the folks that I know doing machinima film in Firestorm as it has SO many features and much easier Windlight. 

Aside from that I think you need to be more specific in your question. Obviously the higher the setting you can use the better the outcome.  You really need at least 15 fps to capture most things. You can capture in a smaller window if needed. I use 1600 x 900 and there really isn't much reason to go beyond that for our purposes if you will be uploading to the web.

Most folks that I know that make machinima (not vlogs) use FRAPS to capture but that could certainly be its longevity factor as a product. 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted (edited)

On 7/12/2017 at 1:43 PM, Esther Lowbeam said:

Hello!

Any tips for refining the quality of the viewer in second life in order to create high quality videos?

Thank you,

Esther

Your quality is going to depend on your computers graphics card. My GTX 1060 is set to 1920x1080. It is the highest setting available. That is imposed by the video card and how it senses the monitor. I am not aware of any way around the upper limit.

I use OBS (Open Broadcast Studio) to capture the viewer rendering and audio. Its quality is dependent on the video card. 

I use Premiere Pro to edit the video. Fortunately, work justifies having the software. It is in Premiere that I can control the output quality for YouTube, Vimeo, or other services. For these services the measure of quality is in the bits-per-second streamed. That is adjustable in the editing software pre-render.

Of course, you can adjust the image size too. Going larger than the original source usually degrades the quality. Shrinking to a size smaller than the source improves quality, to a point. The size of the output and the bits-per-second set the quality and are interdependent.

The render you see on screen is dependent on viewer and video card driver settings. The best you can get, in a general sense, is set the graphics to ULTRA. If that creates a performance problem, search for how to adjust the viewer's video settings. There are ways to balance performance and quality. The viewer level of tweaking is fairly simple and easy to understand. Moving on to the video card settings gets techy. Again there are tutorials, Google.

And... of course I have the handy stuff for setting up your viewer: Second Life – Machinima Settings

Edited by Nalates Urriah
Add link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0