Sherry321 Allen

Sherry321 Allen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Need some help from technically minded avatars! I’m unable to connect to Second Life since I started using firewall software called Smoothwall Express-installed on a separate machine. I’ve looked in Second Life tech support and it tells me that I’ll need to enable outbound TCP and UDP access for several named ports. My question is: do any of you use Smoothwall Express 3.1 because it’s not clear how to open the ports! I’ve been in contact with Smoothwall’s own support but no response as yet. Any help much appreciated J

4 answers to this question

I know nothing at all, about SmoothWall.  A little digging in Google leads me to believe that it may be a product of the Philippines (or maybe I just stumbled on a Filipino tutorial).  I looks to me like a system-level firewall -- more than a typical individual user is likely to want.  With a little careful digging on your own, though, you can probably find the information you want in a setup manual.  I'm a little surprised that you need to, however, unless you are using a VPN or are sitting in a secure corporate envirnoment.  You should be able to simply create exceptions for the secondlife.com domain and for your SL viewer.  That's all that most SL residents need to to, if they need to do anything at all.

Thank you both for responses.  Of course I Googled this question before I put up my post, however,.specific Second Life settings are not covered by any of the standard web pages on this. Thats why I was specifically addressing my question to Second Life users who use Smoothwall. For info to Rolig, Smoothwall is a UK company, not the Philippines, that sells a corporate firewall but also a free version for single users which is what I'm using.

Thanks anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.