Exporting rigged mesh from Maya gives me a .DAE Parsing error - where exporting from blender doesn't

Zackalack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, I've been trying to import a Bikini into blender, I made the mesh in blender - then imported it into Maya to rig (it can only be rigged in maya) and this used to work fine, But now when I export the mesh from Maya, it'll always give me a .dea Parsing error, but when I export the non rigged from blender, it's fine.

d6a947fcb8.png

The name of the file has been the same as previour working projects, I double chakced the mesh and it's fine, seems to be an issue when exporting from Maya exlusivly. anyone know any fixes?

the file might have some texture name with spaces in it. check your materials and see if you have anything assigned like that. Also, make sure that all the vertices in your mesh objects have uvs assigned. if even 1 vertex has no uvs then it will fail

Edited by RedPeppers

The parsing error can have many reasons, from object names, to material names, file names to folder names, to too deeply nested folder structures, and who knows what else. Try saving the dae to the desktop, without any special characters, or signs, or what ever in the final path.

I tried your suggestions, but sadly no fix,

it seems the error comes from exporting from Maya, when I export from Blender it works just fine - but when I export the mesh from Maya

I tried deleting the Texture, reunwrapping, removing the modifiers, scaling it, restarting my PC, different viewers, but sadly the same error.

Here are all the problems that gave me the parsing error, and how I fixed them. I do not know the proper names for these, so I named them myself:

1 - Some unweighted vertices. Easiest way to find them is pose the avatar elsewhere, then weight any vertices that don't move.

2 - X-Axis read error. Sadly the only fixed I've found for this is to delete half the avatar down the middle, and remirror it when perfectly aligned with the axis.

3 - Mirroring vertices read error. If you mirrored a part of it, make sure all the vertices on the mirrored axis are properly merged.

4 - Scale properties of the object do not match the scale properties of the rigging. I do not know how to fix it in Maya sadly. In Blender you CTRL ALT A, Scale to ObjData

5 - Same as 3, but rotation instead of scale.

6 - Vertices are too spaced out from other vertices. Best example I can give for this is if you try to export a cat's whiskers and it's hind feet together with nothing else. Making a not tiny plane connecting them fixes it.

Hope one of these helps you. I have encountered the parsing error so many times, and it's always been one of these issues. Numbers 1 and 4 are the most common in my experience.

Edited by Zazaaji

3 hours ago, Zazaaji said:

2 - X-Axis read error. Sadly the only fixed I've found for this is to delete half the avatar down the middle, and remirror it when perfectly aligned with the axis.

3 - Mirroring vertices read error. If you mirrored a part of it, make sure all the vertices on the mirrored axis are properly merged.

Haven't encountered either of these myself but you may find that deleting the history for the object (Edit > Delete by Type > History) may help.

3 hours ago, Zazaaji said:

4 - Scale properties of the object do not match the scale properties of the rigging. I do not know how to fix it in Maya sadly.

5 - Same as 3, but rotation instead of scale.

Both these issues can be fixed by freezing the transformations on your object (Modify > Freeze Transformations).

12 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Haven't encountered either of these myself but you may find that deleting the history for the object (Edit > Delete by Type > History) may help.

Both these issues can be fixed by freezing the transformations on your object (Modify > Freeze Transformations).

Thank you for potential alternate fixes.xD

Edited by Zazaaji

I'll give those suggestions a go, turns out it's just the Bikini Mesh that is breaking, it's fine when exporting from blender, this is Maya that is causing the file to corrupt. so I could give you guys the file if you'd like to see it for yourself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.