GM Meter channels and their radio buttons: What are they? What do they do?

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The GM Combat Meter has three rows on the right side its HUD. These are labeled "RP Chan", "GRP Chan", "MOD Chan". The text of each can be made dark or brightly colored by clicking on them. In addition there is a radio button to the left, and adjacent to, each line of text such that only one of the three buttons can be active at time.

What do all these controls do? What is the meaning of their texts? What do those adjacent radio buttons do?

5 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, agentronin Resident said:

[ .... ] I am hoping someone who has used those functions of that meter will see this thread and answer. I thought of it as a request for technical information about them.

As we have said, that's unlikely here in Answers.  You'll have much better luck if you ask in the Role-Play forum or in a Gorean group where you're likely to reach people who have used that tool.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, we can't expect to be familiar with all brands of products sold in SL.  Answers is here to offer help in understanding how SL works (or why it doesn't), not for helping you understand how to use a specific product.  You'll have to contact the creator or merchant, or join  a group that uses that product and can explain it to you.

• Like 2

Rolig is right. Your best answers will come from the gamers using that meter. Whichever combat sim you play in will have a support group. Ask in that group.

In a basic sense the chat-channels in SL are the communication lines used by the users and the system. Some viewers allow you to set the channel you chat on. But, like handheld radios you both have to be on the same channel to talk and hear.

In local chat you can type /1 or any number from -2 to +2 million to set the channel that line of text will be sent. Scripts use those channels to communicate. Your game meter is doing the same thing. I suspect it is allowing those using the meter to select private channels for RP. As the Linden main default viewer does not allow sticky-changing the chat channel this meter setting would save you having to repeatedly typing /215, or whatever channel number, for every comment.

GRP... I am guessing that is a group channel.

MOD... again guessing a channel for talking to moderators or for the moderators.

You'll have to ask.

• Like 1

I think Nalates has got it right, although I don't use this HUD either.  RP Channel = Roleplay channel.  Used for chatting "in character" during roleplay.  GRP Channel = Group channel, for communicating with a group as a whole.  MOD Channel = Moderator Channel.  Talk to a referee.

Frankly, if I'm in combat, I'm too darn busy to chat with anybody on ANY channel.

• Like 2

The Gorean Meter aka GM Meter or GM Combat Meter is not sold. It is freely given away at the docks of hundreds of gorean combat sims, and all the major gorean weapons stores. The documentation that comes with it is inadequate. I am hoping someone who has used those functions of that meter will see this thread and answer. I thought of it as a request for technical information about them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.