Attache object to fitted mesh

Raven Delgado

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I hope i can explain this well enough, i have a fitted mesh skirt (not made by me) but have full rights to it, i would like to add a nano prim to it for decoration, when i do it jumps all around my body, does not stay where i wanted it, i wear Maitreya  Mesh Body if that helps, example i attache to belly & it goes inside belly up, down just simply does not stay put lol, has a mind of it's own, also can not attache my prim belly ring with out it going inside me or up or down, any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong, again I DID NOT CREATE THE MESH SKIRT, i just simple want to add jewelry to it to make it look different, thanks in advance

9 answers to this question

You aren't attaching the prim to the skirt, but to an attachment point on your avatar.  That attachment point is moving in relation to the mesh skirt as your avatar moves.

If you truly have full permissions on the skirt, perhaps you also have, or have a link to, the original Collada (.DAE file extension) model of the skirt outside of Second Life.  If so, you can load the model into Blender, create the jewelry decoration(s), and upload the modified mesh model to Second Life.

8 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

When you link the prim to the skirt, click the skirt last to be sure it stays the root prim. 

In other words, go to edit mode, click the nanoprom then shift click the skirt. Then link them. 

Rhonda...can you link prims to a fitted mesh object?  (I don't know, I haven't tried!)  Raven, if Rhonda is right, then rez the skirt on the ground in order to edit it and link the jewel, then Take the linked objects back into your inventory...don't edit it while wearing it.

• Like 1

I don't make fitted mesh but logically -- LOL this wont work simply because the prim you are linking to the dress (should you be able to do that) NEEDS TO BE RIGGED along with the skirt, dress etc. This has come up many times in the mesh forums with regular standard sizing mesh. I see no reason why the same rules wouldn't apply to fitted mesh.  The mesh you attach will attach (I am thinking -- still not a clothes maker) to the center of the fitted mesh object. You can adjust from there while standing still or in pose mode but the minute YOU move the prim you attached (not rigged to your avatar) will move away from the fitted mesh.

Edited by Chic Aeon

@Chic Aeon you are sadly right, i took a mesh jewel & attached to fitted mesh skirt & skirt stayed as should & jewel sadly did its own thin as i moved, i just don't understand how people can make belly rings for mesh body and it stays there but if i connect jewel to belly it has a mind of it's own ugh, guess i will stick to making mesh furniture & old fashioned TGA file clothes ha, i have read so much on net & still won't work, i'll leave mesh clothes to the professionals :(

10 hours ago, Raven Delgado said:

thanks every one, i only have DAE file on skirt not the jewel sadly, i only have full permission as far as rezizing and stuff not dae file for that but thank you all i will try again & pray it works, tired of jewels floatin around lol

If you have the DAE file for the skirt, you're halfway there.  You'll just have to make a jewel for it yourself, in Blender.  this isn't too hard...look for relevant tutorials on YouTube and on the web.

11 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

If you have the DAE file for the skirt, you're halfway there.  You'll just have to make a jewel for it yourself, in Blender.  this isn't too hard...look for relevant tutorials on YouTube and on the web.

There are actually "jewel" prims as part of Blender but I believe that the vertices on any jewels that were attached to the skirt (and that in itself would not be easy if you were new to mesh making) would also have to be rigged or the jewel would deform when the skirt moved.  I may be wrong on this. Just logic speaking. 

10 hours ago, Raven Delgado said:

@Chic Aeon you are sadly right, i took a mesh jewel & attached to fitted mesh skirt & skirt stayed as should & jewel sadly did its own thin as i moved, i just don't understand how people can make belly rings for mesh body and it stays there but if i connect jewel to belly it has a mind of it's own ugh, guess i will stick to making mesh furniture & old fashioned TGA file clothes ha, i have read so much on net & still won't work, i'll leave mesh clothes to the professionals :(

Where are you attaching the belly jewel to? I am guessing that the PELVIS would be the best place. You need an area that doesn't move all that much. When prim skirts and belts were in fashion, the pelvis was the attach point. 

bellyjewel.thumb.JPG.c2e21cec7afadafe89247e0a47b618bd.JPG

Yes, I did a quick test, and pelvis is the attachment point. It stays with you and is pretty convincingly in place. This is just a plywood sphere for testing but a belly ring would work the same way.  You will need to CAM INTO THE BODY in order to grab the "jewel" and move it to the belly button area. Then you detach and ATTACH AGAIN so that it "remembers" where it belongs.

I didn't really plan for the photo to be THAT big - LOL.   

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.