Choosing a bow weapon command channel

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

In the LR Weapons bow's instruction notecard:

Because it seems people has fun to spam the channel 1 to interfere with your commands, now you can set your own chat channel to communicate with the bow.
/1 mychan XXX (XXX = positive number)

Has anyone who has been in combat had this trouble with default channel 1?

Should I decide to use other than the weapon's default chat channel, I will need to know how to choose a chat channel for this. The bow's instruction notecard seems to indicate it is a tactic to jam channel 1. So I need to know what other channels to avoid, and what channels are lease likely to get in the way of other functions.

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, agentronin Resident said:

In the LR Weapons bow's instruction notecard:

Has anyone who has been in combat had this trouble with default channel 1?

Should I decide to use other than the weapon's default chat channel, I will need to know how to choose a chat channel for this. The bow's instruction notecard seems to indicate it is a tactic to jam channel 1. So I need to know what other channels to avoid, and what channels are lease likely to get in the way of other functions.

1. Channel 1 was the default for most of these scripted weapons, many years ago, so much so, that some manufacturers announced they were moving to /3 or /5 to "give you less combat lag and help you win with brand x weapons!"

2. Channel 1 is the MAIN numbered channel for almost every damn opencollar scripted "Slave collar" on every gorean tavern slave on every gorean sim in SL, so using channel 1 for dark age warrior weaponrty on gorean sims, was basically an epic fail on their part from the start.

3. The company's definition of "Spam" probably includes EVERYTHING that isn't one of their weapons/huds, and despite being aware ofthe crowded nature of the popular low numbered channels, STILL decided to do their own "Spam" on channel 1.

Channel numbers to avoid...

/1 (most bdsm collars and a lot of weapons, and anything with a hidden chat access menu made by scripters with little imagination) 

/2 (ancient freebie prim ***** attachments like the 'On Duty' which spams the channel about twice a second with its presence and location)

/3 (bdsm gags and a lot of weapons)

/5 ( more bdsm stuff, and even more weapons)

/7 (bdsm gear again though not as common)

/9 (some announcement systems on some parcels use this)

/11 (easy to type so often gets used for accessing menus on stuff, same goes for any repetitive double digit /22 /33 etc.), 

/66 (more bdsm stuff )

/77 (even more bdsm stuff)

/333 (easy to type, loads of people looking for an unused channel might pick this or any other repetitive 3 digit number)

/666 (most of the damn titler attachments seem to use this channel)

/910 (Seems like an obvious choice for SL's American based emergency services rp gear)

/999 (Ditto for UK based first response rp)

Essentially, avoid any channel that's easy and obvious.  The more digits, the better, if only because other people will be less likely to have hit on that choice with their own random choices.  The big drawbacks are (1) bigger numbers are harder to remember and (2) they take a little longer to type if you are in a hurry.  So, choose a non-obvious number with meaning (like your sister's birthday -- 92384 -- or part of your RL phone number ) and practice typing it.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Essentially, avoid any channel that's easy and obvious.  The more digits, the better, if only because other people will be less likely to have hit on that choice with their own random choices.  The big drawbacks are (1) bigger numbers are harder to remember and (2) they take a little longer to type if you are in a hurry.  So, choose a non-obvious number with meaning (like your sister's birthday -- 92384 -- or part of your RL phone number ) and practice typing it.

You don't type that 6 digit number at all, you make a gesture...

trigger "/load"

gesture triggered "/311057 derpbow load arrow blah blah what ever commend the damn thing needs goes here"

You could even set them up to use function keys.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Klytyna said:

You don't type that 6 digit number at all, you make a gesture...

trigger "/load"

gesture triggered "/311057 derpbow load arrow blah blah what ever commend the damn thing needs goes here"

You could even set them up to use function keys.

The gesture solution is the ideal way (IMO) to handle this. Using a number between  min. -2,147,483,648 and max. 2,147,483,647 gives you a lot of choice. Using gestures makes working the bow or other device easy. Several of my weapons use 6 digit channels. But, I can write additional gestures that are based on words. So, I can type /draw and the gesture will handle talking to the device on the right channel.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.