Rights, Modify, Copy, Transfer

Amphei Jierdon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I made a script that works nicely, and I want to give it to other residents, so they can put it into the contents of an item they previously got from me. I want this script to be no modify and no transfer, but copy is ok. 

My problem now is that if I set the script to no transfer, it is no longer possible to move or copy it to the contents of the items it was designed for. But this is what the script was made for... I only don't want that they can transfer it to other residents. 

What am I missing? Or is that impossible? 

Thank you for help. :)

I think some information may be missing here because I don't see anything preventing what you're trying to do, yet you say "it is no longer possible" if the script is set no-transfer. Is there any chance the items in which the script is to be installed lack Modify permission for those next owners?

[EDIT: Or, just to make sure, you're not wanting to let those next owners transfer the newly-scripted items in the form of attaching them to others or something? That need for next-but-one-owner permissions is a whole other problem with no really satisfactory solutions.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 2

As Qie wrote, what are the permissions on the target-object?

Setting a script COPY only for next owner does basically, what you want, where they cannot modify or transfer it.

The receiver though  can only use the script for it purpose, if the object it is copied into, allows it

•  being either an object the receiver make them self
  • or are in their ownership with permissions to modify it.

• Like 1

Hi Amphei,

See attached picture:

1. an object where next owner can MOD/COPY but NOT transfer
  2. a script COPY ONLY, not mod/transfer

I tested with a friend, send him the object and afterward the script. He could copy the script into the object I gave him - not able to modify script or transfer it, but is did what it should update the object with a sound to be played - works as it should.

So unless I misunderstand, what you want, it works without problems.

test20160418.png

9 hours ago, Amphei Jierdon said:

My problem now is that if I set the script to no transfer, it is no longer possible to move or copy it to the contents of the items it was designed for. But this is what the script was made for... I only don't want that they can transfer it to other residents. 

What am I missing? Or is that impossible? 

I think what you were missing is that for an object you are creating, the "rights" you select are for the NEXT owner.  It does not mean YOU cannot copy/mod/transfer the script into an object then give it away or sell it, it means the NEXT owner cannot copy/mod/transfer.

• Like 1

Maybe I try showing the same problem from another POV. Let's say I sell an avatar mesh. And I issue a fullperm applier script. The applier script could be filled by skin creators with their UUIDs, then set by them to "no modify" and "no transfer" to protect their  UUIDs, and then be sold to customers who previously bought my ava mesh. 

Now this "locked" applier script must be copied to the contents of the avatar mesh which unfortunately does not work, because it is no transfer. But if the skin creator would leave it "transfer" so it can be transfered into the ava meshes contents, the customer also could pass it to friends and alts, which basically is not intended. 

So I would need a script that is "copy", "no modify", but "transfer" (into the customers own objects)... but "no transfer" (to friends and alts)... :/

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

Transfer does not mean transfer into an object but transfer to another account.

This is exactly what I thought... but it seems that a third person can not drag and drop script into the contents of an item, if the script is set to "no transfer"... and this is what I do not understand.

Edited by Amphei Jierdon

2 hours ago, Amphei Jierdon said:

This is exactly what I thought... but it seems that a third person can not drag and drop script into the contents of an item, if the script is set to "no transfer"... and this is what I do not understand.

If a third person cannot drag contents into the item, then it is "no mod".  You may need to look into the function "llAllowInventoryDrop()" which "Allows for all users without modify permissions to add inventory items to a prim".

In case it matters, llAllowInventoryDrop() isn't supposed to work for scripts -- but I'm pretty baffled by the whole situation here, so I'm not sure what's relevant.

There's also llRemoteLoadScriptPin() that might be relevant, but I just can't tell why the standard, simple approach is somehow not working.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

In case it matters, llAllowInventoryDrop() isn't supposed to work for scripts

My Bad.  Another possibility is, OP is reporting that completed item says "No mod" (because of "no mod" script contents) even though object is "mod" allowing script drop. Reported "rights" when you examine an item are a combination of the "least" rights and do not necessarily reflect the "actual" rights.

Agree, we don't have all the information.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

@Amphei Jierdon Can you explain specifically what you're doing differently from what @Rachel1206 did, above?

I exactly did the same... 

oh stupid me!!!

I now tested it with a cube rezzed on ground, and it worked perfectly... then I again tried it with an ava-mesh and it did not work. The reason was that I was wearing the mesh while I tried to drag & drop the script. After rezzing the ava mesh on the ground, I was able to drag & drop the no modify, no transfer script. 

It still is odd that I can drag & drop a script that is transfer into an ava mesh I wear, but a no transfer script can not be dragged & dropped into a mesh I wear... :$

Still, my problem is solved and thanks to all helping me and getting me on the right track... :)

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Amphei Jierdon said:

Still, my problem is solved and thanks to all helping me and getting me on the right track... :)

Good to hear and yes, the logic based errors are always the hardest to solve.

Edited by Rachel1206

1 hour ago, Amphei Jierdon said:

[ .... ]

It still is odd that I can drag & drop a script that is transfer into an ava mesh I wear, but a no transfer script can not be dragged & dropped into a mesh I wear... :$

[ .... ]

Odd, yes, but that's the way worn objects behave.  I can think of several things that work perfectly well if you do them to an object in the ground but cannot do if the object is worn.  For example, if your script makes changes to an object's root prim name or description while it is worn, those changes will not persist when you detach the object (although, peculiarly, you can make those changes in a child prim O.o ).  Expected behavior is not always what you might expect in SL.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.