How to control who can enter my linden home

Susan Novelli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Two ways:

1. Use the ugly yellow ban lines that everyone will curse about >>> https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/managing-your-parcel-r49/Section_.6

2.  Buy a security orb in Marketplace or from a shop in world and configure it to allow specific people or group members access.  If you take this option, just be sure to adjust the orb properly so that it does not affect your neighbors.

• Like 2

Rolig's advice is spot on.  I want to emphasize her point about ban lines being ugly.  YOU won't see your own banlines, but everyone else will.  Be kind to your neighbors.  I also want to emphasize her point about being careful with the setup parameters on your security orb.  Since  a Linden Home takes up its entire land parcel, setting it to cover the parcel will be fine.  Or you can set it to a bounding box that defines the inside of your house, if you want to let casual passers-by cross your patio.  Do NOT set it to a radius, like "everyone within 92 meters", unless you want to entertain a delegation from your neighbors.  Set a warning time that gives an inadvertent intruder a chance to leave peacefully...say, 20 or 30 seconds minimum.

Remember that banlines and security orbs only prevent physical intrusion.  People can still move their cameras inside your house and look at you.  Go to About Land/Options tab, and un-check the box that allows this.  Then you and anyone in your home will be invisible to those outside.  Also, they will not see any Nearby Chat from people in your home.  The only downside of this is that you will not be able to see or hear THEM either.

• Like 2

Rolig and Lindal have mentioned the downsides of access restriction, either ugly ban lines or the potential for affecting neighboring parcels. If the thought of people wandering through your Linden Home when you are logged out bothers you, I'll recommend remembering that your home is virtual. Nobody can take anything, nobody can dirty it up. If you're having troubles with trespassers/griefers while you are logged in, you can ban them from your parcel. For more than seven of my nine years in SL, I owned or rented a home. I never once used a security orb or ban lines, and only rarely banned an individual.

There's no better way to avoid being bothered by things than to not be bothered by things.

;-).

• Like 4

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

... For more than seven of my nine years in SL, I owned or rented a home. I never once used a security orb or ban lines, and only rarely banned an individual.

There's no better way to avoid being bothered by things than to not be bothered by things.

Oh, I SO agree with this!  Perfect, Maddy.

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Rolig and Lindal have mentioned the downsides of access restriction, either ugly ban lines or the potential for affecting neighboring parcels. If the thought of people wandering through your Linden Home when you are logged out bothers you, I'll recommend remembering that your home is virtual. Nobody can take anything, nobody can dirty it up. If you're having troubles with trespassers/griefers while you are logged in, you can ban them from your parcel. For more than seven of my nine years in SL, I owned or rented a home. I never once used a security orb or ban lines, and only rarely banned an individual.

;-).

I've never used ban lines and the only time I ever used security orbs was when I got super-paranoid when keeping Sion chickens (!) - and that turned out to go against me when I was ghosted on my main account and locked out, and when I went into feed the chickens on an alt account, my alt got kicked out by the security orb! We live and learn.

What I have certainly used (with a lot of pleasure) when someone has entered my home to just be a griefer nuisance is an orbiting device. Otherwise if people have wanted to visit when I've been online or offline, I've just let them get on with it. Like you say, they can't dirty it up, can't leave mucky footprints, can't pooh on the carpets (unless you forget to set autoreturn to something other than zero).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.