Age verification

Mariana1a2q3u4a

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have went through the second life website, gone to the preferences to change my ratings but the bar is grayed out, I have searched in here for answers but I still don't know what to do. I also have downloaded the original SL viewer because I used firestorm. I just don't know what to do or where to go to ACTUALLY get a verification so I can access the mature and adult content in SL. Can someone offer any help that can direct me to actually get verified in SL??:(

Edited by Mariana1a2q3u4a
want to be notified of a reply

6 answers to this question

Mariana, if you are in fact 18 or older in real life, and entered your correct birth date at signup, and the choice to enable Moderate and Adult content is grayed out, it is in fact a bug in the system that sometimes happens.  Follow Whirly Fizzle's advice to file a support case, and Linden Lab will help you get it corrected.

24 minutes ago, BratD said:

I was in a club recently and could not enter the sploder because you have to be verified. I entered my age when I signed up on SL in 2012...but now there is no way to verify. 

There is no way for a club to know how old you are in RL, because that's not public information retrievable from your profile.  Instead, they have two options (well, two and a half):

1. They can determine how long you have been in SL.  Many venues will set a filter that blocks anyone younger than, say, 30 days in SL from entering.

2. They can determine whether you have payment information on file (PIOF) with Linden Lab. ( The "two and a half" is that they can also determine whether you have used the payment information.) 

The rationale for blocking is the same, regardless of which thing they choose to verify.  The most annoying, troublesome people in SL are often newbies on throwaway accounts who don't register a payment method because that would provide a way for LL to identify them in RL.  Those nasties often get bored or banned within a short time, so verifying SL age or PIOF weeds them out pre-emptively. 

Unless you have a tag over your head that says "Look at me!  I'm 13 in RL", the club has no way of knowing your RL age.  In fact, if you entered SL in 2012 and were at least 12 years old at the time (too young to enter legally), you are guaranteed to be over 18 now.  So, all the club has to do is look at your SL age and do the math.  If they are really using PIOF and not age, then all you have to do is register a payment method.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.