how do I box my extra inventory

Cairo Illios

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

1. Open build tools and res a box.  Rename it to something useful, like "Old Textures"
  2. Open the contents tab for the box you just created.
  3. Drag and drop items from your inventory to the box's content folder
    1. For all copyable items, delete the item in inventory once it is also inside the box
  4. Close the build window and pick up the box.

You will still have everything, but it will now only be a single item in your inventory.

• Like 4

Rhonda is right. The reason you might want to do box your stuff is because huge inventories can cause slowness and instability. However if you are not experiencing problems like that and your inventory is not enormous (less than 100,000 total, less than 1,000 in each folder), you probably don't need to worry.

• Like 2

Rhonda is correct.  However, here are a couple of additional thoughts.

1.  If you have land, you can store the boxed items by rezzing them and keeping them on the land.  Then they are not in your inventory at all.  But you will have to decide whether this is really safer than keeping them in your inventory.  Both the region servers and LL's inventory servers are...well, servers.  Which are more reliable?  Darned if I know!

2.  Don't store more than about 50 or so items in any one box prim.  There's no defined limit on how many things a prim can hold, but if you go over that, opening the prim to see what's inside, and adding more items, start to become quite slow.

3.  To get around that, you can put "boxes in boxes."  Box up 50 items or so in one box prim.  Take it into your inventory.  Do this until you have, say, 50 boxes of stuff.  Then rez yet another prim and put those boxes into its Content folder.

4.  Bear in mind that while Links (the shortcuts you create when, for example, you save an Outfit) count as inventory items, they do not seem to have the performance impact that "real" inventory items do.  So if most of your inventory is Links, you may not have any cause to worry about a too-large inventory.

i need help with this, sorry..this came up in my google search..

debb259bbb4686ec84a0c1a55c5f046b.png

ea66fb915ead4bc4879e3d183cf84c2a.png

i dont know what im doing wrong.. i tried to box a mesh head, and instead of the mesh head folder just dragging into the contents, it unpacked into "contents" .. 

i dont want this to happen..

how do I add several folders? .. without it all unpacking :(

14 minutes ago, xBaeBeex said:

how do I add several folders? .. without it all unpacking

Folders won't go into a prim. The only way to keep things separate is to box up each folder's contents into its own box, and then put that box into your main 'archive' prim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.