What is the maximum capacity of the inventory? have a infinite or limited capacity?

KevinMuzSuar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

In a practical, safe sense, it is very wise to keep your inventory under 50,000 items.  The lower, the better. You will meeet many people  with much larger inventories who have never had any trouble.  When they do have trouble, though, it is generally catastrophic.  That is, they lose a lot of stuff permanently.

The problem is that your viewer works from its own local cache, not directly from the inventory in the SL asset servers.  That cache is updated each time you log in, which means downloading a pile of data from SL to you.  The more data there are, the longer it takes, and the greater the possibility that the stream will be corrupted.  If the data transfer takes too long, it will simply time out, so you'll end up with an incomplete cache -- items apparently missing from inventory.  If the data are corrupted, the inventory may all look there but may be inaccessible.

The problem gets worse if you have much of your inventory in large folders instead of subdivided into much smaller subfolders.  Again, the larger a subfolder is, the longer it takes to download intact, and the more likely that it will arrive damaged.

So, there's no real upper limit.  I have heard of many people with YUGE inventories.  I have also had several close friends who once had more than 100,000 items and lost 50% or more of them.  Best to keep yours under 50,000.  Mine is 35,000 +/- after ten years of constant weeding.

• Like 1

The answers are right but a bit imprecise. 

There is no limit on your invenotry. I know people with well over 100k items. But, there is a rather ambigious limit on the number of items you can have in a folder. Generally we say the limit is 5,000 items per folder. On a good connection you may get away with 10,000 items per folder. With a poor connection it may be <5,000.

A folder is an item too.

I could have 1,000 folders each with a thousand folders that each have a 1,000 items... giving me an inventory with a billion items. I suspect it would greatly increase my login time. But, it would probably load.

Support can fix an inventory that is a problem because of too many items in a folder. A trouble ticket has to be filed with support asking they "unflatten' your inventory. Putting everything in a single or few folders is a "flat' inventory.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.