I cannot access SL from a hotel where I have to log into the internet from their home page.

Llorean

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am traveling and I would like to be able to log into SL while staying at hotels on the road. I can log into my dashboard, but my viewer will not open. I have to access the internet via the hotels web page first. Any suggestions out there as to how to get my viewer to work in these situations?

6 answers to this question

Unless your hotel is blocking access to the viewer (which would be highly unlikely), you should be able to log in, assuming they are using high-speed broadband connection.  Follow the instructions on the hotel information and contact someone for support.  I have logged into SL from hotels many times, both in the US and abroad.

SL uses a lot of bandwidth, so if you are staying in a busy hotel where every travelling businessman is on the Internet, it wouldn't be surprising to find that there's no room left in the pipeline for you. Also, Internet connections in hotels are almost always wireless these days -- not the best way to access SL.  Several of my colleagues have had bad experiences accessing SL to make presentations at professional meetings in big city hotels. 

• Like 1

The hotel's server is acting as a proxy client.  You can read the details here: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Preferences-guide/ta-p/700131

but the important part is:

"Web Proxy

Checking Enable Web Proxy enables you to set a web proxy address and port number. You may need this option if you are operating in a restricted Internet environment, such as a research lab or at some companies. The web proxy settings should match those of your system's default web browser. If you are unsure what these settings should be, contact your network administrator. "

In other words - you need to talk to whoever runs the hotel's systems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.