Blurring textures issue.

leGustav

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I'd like help in finding out the cause of this happening to me all the time...

WHY DO YOU BLURRY?!

I believe it has to do something with my router but I don't really know...

It can't be about my PC specs, this is a way upgraded one from my old one, and still happens.

I really want to fix this since I like doing photography and this frustrates the experience a lot.

:smileysad:

That sounds like "Texture Thrashing" to me. There have been numerous threads on this topic over the years, here's a recent one with some suggestions...

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/How-do-I-stop-texture-thrashing/m-p/2974634

ETA: Here's another thread...

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/TP-ing-and-texture-thrashing-in-Firestorm/td-p/3019617

Yes, that does look like texture thrashing; I used to get it a lot.

Out of curiosity, when it happens to you, try TP'ing a few meters away. Do a double-click on the ground (if you have double-click TP enabled). For me, that seemed to cause the viewer to 'rethink' things and it nearly always stopped the thrashing immediately.

I really think there have been changes behind the scenes because at some point it reduced a fair bit for me, with no local changes whatsoever. I did find (when it was bad) that using Black Dragon viewer mostly eliminated it. BD allowed much more of the graphic card's memory to be used for caching textures.

If you are using Firestorm, on the graphics/hardware options there is a memory slider. I have mine set all the way up (it now allows 2GB) and I have not seen any texture thrashing since.

I do not think that GPU memory is all there is to the issue though; I used to get it in places I am sure should not have been filling my GPU cache. Hence my 'changes behind the scenes' theory.

So, check that memory slider. Obviously it can only go up as far as your GPU has memory.

Texture thrashing primarily comes from content creators using way, way, way too much texture data on their creations, since Land Impact doesn't penalize them for it the way it penalizes too many vertices. (And even if you don't experience texture thrashing, you're definitely taking a hit to framerates because of the texture bloat. It's one of several reasons SL runs so poorly compared to high end videogames that look much better.)

Even with a high end videocard, texture thrashing can be a problem. If you have a card with only 500MB of VRAM a single avatar could easily use all of that up.

Unfortunately, the only solutions right now are:

• Buy a videocard with more VRAM and hope it fixes it, because maybe it will and maybe it won't.
  • Manually retexture your content yourself to reduce the texture load. Not an option open to most users.
  • Try and figure out what content you have that has the most texture memory and replace it with content that doesn't use as much. There's no easy way to do that right now since no one advertises how much texture memory the items they sell use.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.