How bad of a mistake did I make

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last night, I accepted what was represented as a "hug" animation from a 9 year plus resident of Second Life(anyone who REALLY wants to know her name can IM me inworld). Next thing I know, I was gyrating all over the place and being put in several poses. I turned RLV off and she was able to continue. She maintained I had simply accepted an animation that she was able to control through a HUD. While annoying I would have lived with that, the problem was she was able to send me items that appeared in my inventory under objects without my approval/acceptance. I have my preferences always set not to autoaccept. I was surprised that she was able to hit my inventory even with RLV turned off. I muted her and contacted the sim owner to report her actions and to simply watch out for other complaints. Not going to waste my time and breath talking to Linden Lab as they will simply trot out their precious TOS and laugh as I am sure some of you will also do. My real question as there is no info tied to this account except my email and I have changed my password already, is that enough or should I delete the account? Thanks for the serious answers to my questions and to the snarky ones, blow off.

You don't need to panic so much. Worst case, she can animate you and put stuff in your inventory. Don't accept any further permissions from her and you'll be fine. Whatever embarrasment she can put your avatar through, RLV can't give her access to your L$ (unless you grant debit permissions to an object, and that'd be true even without RLV). It can't let her log into your account, access land settings you own, mess with groups you run, read your email, IMs or notecards, or steal anything but your dignity.

The thing with animations is a old hack from before RLV. Once you've granted animation permissions, an object can keep them for as long as it's rezzed or worn. Unless that's been changed, there's nothing much you can do about it, apart from stay away from the perpetrator. (eta: see what others have written about 'revoke permissions').

Turning RLV off can mean different things. Just setting it to off doesn't have any effect until you relog. It also can only work through an object you wear, usually a collar or relay. So if you aren't wearing either (and don't wear objects you're unsure about) RLV can't affect you. Nothing else I'm aware of can force you to accept objects, so I'm not sure what's happening there. Anyone can *offer* an object, of course, regardless of RLV, but that doesn't mean you have to accept it.

As far as snarky answers go... tough. Snarkers will snark. This is General Discussion, not a confidential RLV helpline. Telling them not to will only encourage them.

LadyTyra wrote:

My real question as there is no info tied to this account except my email and I have changed my password already, is that enough or should I delete the account?

That should be more than enough.

Once you have accepted an animation permission request, whoever or whatever controls the script can change to a different animation - that's how you can change dance in a dance ball without having to agree to the animation each and every time. I think it is also possible to pass on objects to you although I may not be sure.

But all you really need to do to stop it all, is revoke the permission. You can do it manually (exactly how depends on which viewer you use) or you can simply relog.

The others have addressed your concerns, so I'll just answer the question you asked in the Title of the thread...

You didn't make a mistake - bad or otherwise. Accepting a hug is not a mistake. The fact that the dickhead made use of it the way he did, does not mean that YOU made a mistake. It just means that he's a dickhead.

I've used the word 'he' even though you referred to it as "her". That's because, rightly or wrongly, I'm inclined to think that the dickheads of SL are RL males, who either are children or behave as children.

You can revoke the permission for the moment. If you meet again you need to revoke again.

If you are animated you need to go to the viewer menu and click "stop animating me" or "stop all animations" or whatever. The text and the position in the menu is different in every viewer. Well, thats my info but I didnt try it out. I'm sceptical of most others. :)

You can not revoke that permission permanently. The animation will only work if the other avatar is in the same sim. If you become distorted there are scripts/huds to fix that and some TPV's have an option for fixing that.

If you block/reject and completely ignore that other person that will surely take out the fun and will make you uninteresting for that person.

LadyTyra wrote:

Last night, I accepted what was represented as a "hug" animation from a 9 year plus resident of Second Life(anyone who REALLY wants to know her name can IM me inworld). Next thing I know, I was gyrating all over the place and being put in several poses. I turned RLV off and she was able to continue. She maintained I had simply accepted an animation that she was able to control through a HUD. While annoying I would have lived with that, the problem was she was able to send me items that appeared in my inventory under objects without my approval/acceptance. I have my preferences always set not to autoaccept. I was surprised that she was able to hit my inventory even with RLV turned off. I muted her and contacted the sim owner to report her actions and to simply watch out for other complaints. Not going to waste my time and breath talking to Linden Lab as they will simply trot out their precious TOS and laugh as I am sure some of you will also do. My real question as there is no info tied to this account except my email and I have changed my password already, is that enough or should I delete the account? Thanks for the serious answers to my questions and to the snarky ones, blow off.

Your only mistake was assuming that someone with a 9 year old account in SL has some degree of automatic trustworthiness, when in fact it's a sad insight into their character.

There is at least one hud available on the Marketplace, which I won't mention the name of, that you accept something like the hug and you've given the permission for that hud. They'll be able to use it any time they get within 96 meters of you. You can stop it. As far as I'm concerned, that hud is nothing but a griefing tool but the creator has  disclaimer that it shouldn't be used that way so gets away with it since LL will just say that it is being used in a manner not intended by the creator.

Just keep hitting the stop animation when they come near and they'll get tired of not getting anywhere with it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.