How to change your classic avatar to Slink?

Creamfill Vlodovic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

not that difficult to change the body...

1 wear the body alpha ( delivered in the package with the slink body)

2 wear the slink mesh body

3 done...

keep in mind, all system clothes, what is in fact only a texture, will not work with mesh bodies.

for mesh clothes you mostly will need to use alphas, the special hud for that is delevered with the mesh body too.

Creamfill Vlodovic wrote:

Oohhh okay that's cool...how does the skins work as well?..Can I still keep my skin for my classic av?

Any skin in Second Life is layer/texture based.

Once you wear the slink mesh body, your skin is hidden underneath it, because it only response to the classic avatar. Only your head will have your old skin texture, as its not changed by wearing the body.

Generally speaking, you use an item called "applier" that puts the skin texture on the mesh body. Most creators have made appliers like this for their skins. Check out the store you got your skin from, if they sell something like that. If your skin is too old, the creator out of business or you simply have a freebie skin, there might not be an applier for it.

Creamfill Vlodovic wrote:

I have sum questions on the slink enhancements with the avatars...I'm very interested on switching up my classic avatar to the slink...but have absolutely no idea how to the slink works at all..ssomeone please give me sum info?? Thanks
:)

This web site has lots of information about mesh bodies, including tutorials and reviews:

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/mesh-body-tutorials/848-2/

Hi, I know you didn't mention other bodies, but I toss in my opinion about the Maitreya body compared to Slink. At first, the Slink body appear to be a better choice if money is an issue.

As mentioned above, you need to buy at least one set of feet with it. That is 675 L. If you don't want to tiptoe everywhere, you will need the flat feet. Another 675 L. You will want a set of hands, because it is lots of free manicure for hands, and the nail options is so much better. You can switch between short, medium, long and pointed. So a Slink body is:

So the Slink will cost you 1250 + 675 + (675) + 450.

A Maitreya body has 3 feet positions included and a set of hands. It is promised that the creator will work on more hands options, and then the body will be updated for free. No need to buy more hands. Total cost: 2750 L.

But the best is that Maitreya comes with very nice skins. Compared to the default Slink skins (because Slink has skins built in too) they are so much better. Maitreya has teamed up with Glam Affair, who makes very good and popular skins. Glam Affair often has sales and group gifts, so if you want a matching head and like GA skins, you can't come out better. The Marketplace also sells single GA skins for around 100 L, they are gatcha prices that is resold.

Glam Affair also sell appliers for the Slink body, but they are an extra cost if you find out that you buy the Slink body. The Slink body has a very curvy option, the Hourglass. Maitreya don't have it, but you can use the sliders for shape under Appearance and make the Maitreya as nice as Hourglass.

I am not in any way connected with Maitreya, Slink or Glam Affair. But I have  the bodies on two different avatars, and IMHO Maitreya is better.

Every new mesh body, no matter what brand, has a learning process. Both Slink and Maitreya has groups where you can ask for help, and be prepared, you will probably struggle before you find out of it. And grab the free demos! Always, always demo before buy. The Maitreya Lara body is found in the Maitreya Mainstore. The Slink in both the Slink Mainstore and the marketplace.

Omega kits is the same cost for both Slink and Maitreya, 99 L. You can manage without them, but you must buy skin and clothes appliers that is made for that particular brand. Omega is a way creators can get an easier life, they don't have to work with a lot of different appliers. This also gives you more options to buy, because new creators who would not take that hassle, now find it more tempting to design for mesh avatars.

Another choice would be the Tonic body. It comes with the 3 Slink compatible feet, 1 hand position and 2 bodies, a flatter and a fuller tush. It's Omega compatible out of the box so no additional purchases necessary other than your skins and clothes. It's only 1750, so a great deal.

• 5 months later...

Hi. I bought my Slink Psysique mesh body about one year ago and just recently started to seriously use it. I have found that almost every clothing designer that offeres appliers, offers them in at least 3 or more different applier brands (Slink Psychique, Hourglass, Maitreya....).  I'm not saying not to buy the Omega kit, I'm going to buy it as soon as I'm done here, I'm just saying that most designers are finding it more profitable to add appliers for everyone. Thank you for your great answer it really helped me sort out a few issues.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.