Cant find rezzed item thats eating prims

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I rezzed a hair accessory in my apartment and it just disappeared into the floor and I cant find it, the ctril+alt+T didnt work either, its taken my prim count to over 60 where as I'm only allowed 20 at the rental, have informed landlord but is there anything else one can do?

You can do an area search. Not sure about the official veiwer but firestom it World > area search > search. you get a list of all objects. Never used the find tab but should do that for you if you type either your name ore the object name. TYPO

If you doulble click the object in the list you will get an arrow and beacon

Area Search IS you friend. You will likely need to cam beneath the floor to get at it. That is where things usually end up. "Bad" mesh is the reason. If you don't have great camming skills you can DEREZyour house (in Firestorm and maybe some other third party viewers) .

BE SURE NOT TO DEREZ AND BLACKLIST or it will be gone until you find it and say's it's OK to see again. Derez is a temperary thing.

Good luck. It has happened to everyon :D

I'm finding Area Search less useful recently (in Firestorm). Maybe something changed but it used to find everything within its parameters within range, but now objects often seem to have to be 'in view' before it picks them up.

An example: I lost a free-roaming rat, and area search did not list it even though it turned out to be within about 20m of me. (yes, I set the filters correctly for physical objects)

I used Build/Pathfinding/Linksets which picked it up from the name immediately. Once I actually saw it, Area Search suddenly listed it.

So, if Area Search doesn't help, Build/Pathfinding/Linksets might.

It helps to know part of the name or description (got a copy in your inventory to get that from I guess) for the search.

Oh yeah, and Derez is quite helpful too. Just TP to a different region and back again to un-derez things. (at worst case, relog. I've occasionally had things not un-derez by TP'ing). The derez/blacklist file is easy to clear if needed; it's just a file in Firestorms folders that can be deleted to clear the blacklist. That will of course remove everything you've ever blacklisted. It's called "asset_blacklist.xml" and lives in the avatar profile folder.

Right, it's impossible for Firestorm any viewer to report on objects not known to it, and the server developers undertook a major effort in improving efficiency by reducing the volume of "noise" passed between sims and viewers (collectively known as improvements to the Interest List).

Of course this doesn't limit stuff that runs purely sim-side, such as the Pathfinding tools or user-written scripts.

For something as nearby as the OP's lost hair accessory, it's likely in the viewer's Interest List (even if, by rights, it should be totally obscured by the floor). Nonetheless, because we already know more or less where it is (probably), the suggested hiding of the floor is probably the least effort. (On the Linden viewer, I'd use Advanced / Highlighting and Visibility / Hide Selected to easily peer through the floor and snatch the couch-cushion treasures hidden within.)

Thanks all.

As others have said doing area search didnt help, nor did cam'ing, it dosent go into the floor, eventially landlord had to find it and even he had difficulty doing so for a while, but thankfully its was resolved. Couldnt try out the other suggestions as Iwas trying out just area search and then the landlod came in so let him do his thing, would have been a good learning opportunity though.

The item was just an Indian earing style hair accessory with colour change script, 44 prims in that tiny thing is ridiculous.

Glad you got it sorted bebejee. Yeah, the LI of some litle things like that is surprising, as is the rendering cost. Not long ago (when I learned about rendering cost) I went through my outfits and, amongst others, discarded a watch, pendant and several hair pieces each of which was higher render cost, alone, than the total recommended maximum render cost for the whole, dressed avatar!

Another thing I occasionally use for finding things is World/Show More/Beacons. It only picks up specific properties, like physical or sound sources, but that can be quite handy at times. I used it once in a busy place to find the source of a birdsong I particularly liked, so I could buy it myself.

Qie, that makes sense, thank you. I guessed it was something like that and I certainly am happy to have better overall efficiency at the minor inconvenience to area search.

Vulpinus wrote:

Glad you got it sorted bebejee. Yeah, the LI of some litle things like that is surprising, as is the rendering cost. Not long ago (when I learned about rendering cost) I went through my outfits and, amongst others, discarded a watch, pendant and several hair pieces each of which was higher render cost, alone, than the total recommended maximum render cost for the whole, dressed avatar!

Another thing I occasionally use for finding things is World/Show More/Beacons. It only picks up specific properties, like physical or sound sources, but that can be quite handy at times. I used it once in a busy place to find the source of a birdsong I particularly liked, so I could buy it myself.

Qie, that makes sense, thank you. I guessed it was something like that and I certainly am happy to have better overall efficiency at the minor inconvenience to area search.

"total recommended maximum render cost?"

I wasn't aware that there was one, unless you are referring to keepimg your Ava in "the Green."

Not to say that less isn't best.

ETA, I once did a thread on "The Green Zone."

Whatever I read at the time said 65,000-70,000, but I don't remember where so I can't prove it.

Perhaps I've got it out of perspective saying 'maximum recommended'; it's so long ago that I read it that I really don't recall the exact context.

I do know that the watch was 75,000 and my flexi-alpha-tori hair was outrageous compared to an almost as good mesh version that was less than 10% of the RC.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.