Quiting Second Life Viewers -Hang

JoJo Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know why quiting second life can cause the program to "hang?" and not quit? I'm using Firestorm and this problem is on both of my computers, laptop and desktop. This problem isn't as bad with Linden's viewer. I'll ask the question in Firestorm's Jira if know one knows, but there's a lot of knowledge here, so thought I'd try here first.

Go to log out, click the "X"

Hanging... Program not closed, but everything is frozen. Waiting, waiting... as long as five minutes. Sometimes I have to go into my system manager to quit the program. 

Could it be something particular that I could chang in the settings?

Can only guess without seeing your logs, which will show at what stage of the viewer shut down process the hang occurs.

Do you get the same logout hang on your alts?  If it's account specific it's likely to be a stall updating & compressing your inventory cache.  Possibly a very large & flat  inventory?

If all accounts have the same problem, are you low on hard drive space on the drive you use for cache?

Sometimes the viewer can hang forever when shutting down the mesh repository or when shutting down the audo engine. This should be a very very occasional thing though - I see it a couple of times a month at most & it can happen on Firestorm or LL viewer.

If you have a mesh upload attempt hang on calculating weights & fees & you cancel it, the viewer then has a fairly high chance of hanging when shutting down the mesh repository.

If you have the problem on all accounts but the problem is more severe on accounts with large inventories and the problem only happens on one viewer build and you also have longer login times then normal & the viewer freezes badly (10-20 seconds) each time you open AND close the inventory floater & the viewer uses way more memory then is normal then those specific symptoms usually mean Windows is running the viewer in some hidden "debug" mode (usually fault tollerant heap) and this can happen after a nasty heap type crash. It's rare but it happens.  This can be fixed by removal of the offending registry key.

Quickest way to find out where the hang is happening is to file that Firestorm JIRA & attach your logs.

I do have a huge inventory. I'm a creator so from 09, its about 70K. Which I think is big to me. I would be over 100K but four years ago I had a massive inventory loss. Also I'm not sure, but i have 1/4 sim stuffed with mesh objects. I'm so grateful for all of these amazing answers!!!!! I'm going read everything and find out where my problems might be!!

I have the regular Second Life viewer and I have this problem worse than ever.

I'm told the answer is simple: Linden Lab is apparently sending crash data even though we aren't given an opportunity to opt out of this.

But that wouldn't explain why this hang occurs when I'm not crashing, but voluntarily logging out.

So perhaps their system thinks I'm crashing and takes time generating crash reports. This is super annoying.

There is a way to disable this but I haven't found it yet.

Prok, did you contact LL support about this yet?

I'm curious who told you the cause was a crash report being sent in when the viewer was logging out. This is something I've never come across as causing a problem & I'm a bit doubtful that's the reason for the hang.

As far as i'm aware no crash report will be sent in unless the session didn't end cleanly because of a crash, freeze or disconnect. It's quite probable certain stats do get sent in to LL at logout though, but I'm not sure about that. It certainly shouldn't cause a logout hang though.

Do your alt accounts also suffer from the logout hang?

Do you have any other weird symptoms while logged in or is it just the logout hang?

Do you know how to read your session logs? This is likely to give a good clue about what's causing the logout hang. It should at the very least show you at what stage of the shut down process the hang is occuring.

This wiki page tells you where to find your logs folder: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-report-a-bug/ta-p/733545#Section_.3

The next time the viewer hangs at logout, before you relaunch the viewer, inside the logs folder, open the secondlife.log file in a text editor & nearish to the bottom, find this line "LLAppViewer::requestQuit: requestQuit" - this is where you clicked the X to initiate a logout. Check the timestamps for each stage & see where the hang happens.

If you already relaunched the viewer then your previous session is logged in the secondlife.old file.

I'm not at all doubtful that this is the reason because it makes perfect sense given the frequency of crashing. Other people with this exact same problem have filed tickets and not gotten answers which is why I didn't bother. They have been told this could be the reason as it is with other applications.

The fact that Microsoft messages you on Windows towards the end of the process and then Windows says it is looking for a solution to the problem means that crashlogging IS being sent at least to MS -- but even before that there is a long hang so something else is happening. Hugely annoying. Yes on all accounts obviously because it's the same computer.

I hardly think this is related to large inventory.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.