Windows 10 and sound

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi hope some of you clever people can help. I just got new pc with windows 10. Everything works fine. However, until yesterday I could choose whether to listen through headphones or if I disconnected them the sound came through the inbuilt speakers, For some reason and I have no idea what happened if I want to use the headphones I have to go into control panel and choose them as the default and if I want the speakers I have to make them the default. While this is not a big problem I just wondered if anyone could tell me what had happened still finding my way around windows 10. The headphones are plugged in to USB and if I make the speakers the default its NVDIA High Def Audio default communications device,.  Thank you. 

Hello Laika :smileyhappy:

Your system likely uses Realtek for audio, making the Nvidia audio driver unnecessary. As I* always update my card’s drivers manually, I don’t know if Nvidia’s updater auto-installs its audio driver.

You should see “Realrek High Definition Audio” listed in Device Manager. If you also see “High Definition Audio Device”, that’s also a Realtek driver, a Windows-certified one.

Some would recommend disabling the Nvidia HD audio driver in the device manager. I would recommend uninstalling it (under Programs), then unplugging the headphones and restarting the computer.

I hope this helps.

*I’m not an expert; building and repairing PCs has been a hobby.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.