How are avatar ranks assigned?

Rhonda Huntress

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2953 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That is a good question and I have been wondering myself.  I have seen many different kinds of resident distinctions.  New Resident, Resident, Recognized Resident, Honored Resident.  I only saw descriptions for Resident, Member, Moderator and Advisor and of course, the Lindens get the cute little all-seeing hand.  Yes, yes, inquiring minds want to know what the difference is and how DID the spammer become honored?...

Hi, the words like "honored" are not really special, there is a list of titles and icons, and a user climbs them sequentially as different points add up. LL can use formulas for each rank to make the different factors have more or less influence as the ladder progresses.

Some of the factors that can increase ranks are account age, number and length of logins, post counts, kudos, tagging activity, answers offered or accepted. Especially on the higher ranks, LL will probably have tweaked the weighting to favor people who might perform the most uncompensated documentation work for them.

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

That is a good question and I have been wondering myself.  I have seen many different kinds of resident distinctions. 
New Resident, Resident, Recognized Resident, Honored Residen
t.  I only saw descriptions for
Resident,
Member, Moderator and Advisor and of course, the Lindens get the cute little all-seeing hand.  Yes, yes, inquiring minds want to know what the difference is and how DID the spammer become honored?...

it would appear that those are sub-ranks within the "resident" rank.... and only depend on post count / frequency

there are observable sub-ranks withn the "member" rank. I see member, recognized member, and honored member. all of which seem to rely on solutions provided.

advisor, contributor and helper do not seem to have an visible ranks within their role, but do seem to rely on solutions for their rating.

there is 1 person ranked Helper, 4 ranked Contributor, 10 ranked Advisor, (all of the previous seem to be ordered by who held the rank first), and 59 ranked Member (which show sub ranks)

squashy Beeswing wrote:

Out of curiosity, how did you arrive by your special rank of 'member', Knowl?    :smileyhappy:

I'm not entirely sure and this is the reason causing many Residents to question the system. Rank is a measure, a gauge, an indicator, a component, a symbol, a gesture of thanks for participation. Participation can be defined as any action, be it positive or negative.

It is clear that some Residents should have higher Ranks. In light of this situation, I have tried to focus on the positive and in considering actions I personally can take in attempts to elevate Residents who I believe should have greater recognition for their contributions.

• 1 month later...

There seems to be much confusion about "ranking" displayed in the forums.  The means to increase "rank" seems shifting, hidden and meaningless. I find this to be a fascinating insight and a lack of true depth of appreciation displayed by LL toward its residents -  that a person can rise from "New Resident" to "Honored Resident" merely by posting in the forums eight times.  I have rezzed into SL daily for over four years, owned many land parcels, created much content, spent a LOT of money, and my SL partner and I have been together these four years providing beautiful public places and quality free content to help people enjoy SL ... but alas neither of us is ranked as "Honored".  Oh well --- being honored is not why we do these things. Rhetoric abounds. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2953 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.