will my acer run okay on second life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone as u may see i am new to the whole Second life game <3 but my younger sister ( shes 19 ) plays the game and has a blast ! :manhappy: I am a very big fan of the game but i am in total fear of it running well Crappy  to be honest ! :'( 

So i need you beautiful guys help :matte-motes-kiss:

If it does run bad then what should i do i am being openly minded and thinking a head so i looked at

tutorial's  of a viewer called singularity is that recomened i get Iit? >.< !

please reply ! i am in feaaaaaaar

if you only say you have a acer we won't get any further... what are the specs?

The technical requirements are here... if you meet those you will run it...

Windows Minimum Requirements Recommended
Internet Connection*: Cable or DSL Cable or DSL
Operating System***: Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
Computer Processor: CPU with SSE2 support, including Intel Pentium 4, Pentium M, Core or Atom, AMD Athlon 64 or later. 2-GHz (Vista) 32-bit (x86) or better
Computer Memory: 1 GB or more 3 GB or more
Screen Resolution: 1024x768 pixels 1024x768 pixels or higher
Graphics Card for Vista
Windows 7 or Windows 8
(requires latest drivers)**:
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better
  • OR ATI Radeon 9500 or better
  • OR Intel 945 chipset
NVIDIA Graphics cards
9000 Series:
  • 9600, 9800
200 Series:
  • 275 GTX, 295 GTX
ATI Graphics Cards
4000 Series:
  • 4850, 4870, 4890
5000 Series:
  • 5850, 5870, 5970

Mac OS X Minimum Requirements Recommended
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7 or better the latest release of 10.9
Computer Processor: 1.5 GHz Intel based Mac 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or above
Computer Memory: 1 GB or more 3 GB or more
Graphics Card**:
  • ATI Radeon 9200 and above
  • OR NVIDIA GeForce 2, GeForce 4
  • ATI: 4850, 4870
  • OR NVIDIA: 9800

Linux Minimum Requirements Recommended
Operating System: A reasonably modern 32-bit Linux environment is required. If you are running a 64-bit Linux distribution then you will need its 32-bit compatibility environment installed. A reasonably modern 32-bit Linux environment is required. If you are running a 64-bit Linux distribution then you will need its 32-bit compatibility environment installed.
Computer Processor: 800 MHz Pentium III or Athlon, or better 1.5 GHz or better
Computer Memory: 512MB or more 1 GB or more
Graphics Card:
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6600, or better
  • OR ATI Radeon 8500, 9250, or better
  • ATI: 4850, 4870
  • OR NVIDIA: 9600, 9800

If you want to know if your 'acer' will run SL, try it. The viewer is free to download, and accounts are free to create.

There's nothing to fear. Nothing bad will happen if it runs badly (at worst, the viewer will crash). If it runs so poorly that you can't enjoy it, you can either upgrade your PC or stop playing. 

I agree with Kelli... there's no harm in trying.  Just keep an eye on your system's temperature... you don't wanna fry the thing.

As far as which viewer to use, the answer is rather simply if you ask me.  You should use the same viewer that your sister uses... that way, she can more easily help you when you need it (and you'll probably need it).

...Dres

As others have said, there's no harm in trying -- it's not going to cost you anything.  

If you find things run too slowly and you want to upgrade your machine, then people here can advise you, but you need to be sure you want to spend the extra money first.   That's pretty much how I got started, and I think it's true for most people, who didn't take into account when they bought the machine the fact they might want to run something that places such high demands on your graphics card (GPU) as does SL.     I found I really enjoyed SL even though I was aware it was running really slowly, and decided, when I came to upgrade my equipment, that spending the extra money on a better machine would be worth it for me (it was).

I'd also add that your internet connection is very important too.   SL is not designed for wireless connections.   It will work, sometimes very well, on wifi, but that's a matter of luck.

Ideally, you want to have a good cable/fibre-optic connection.   

Certainly you can experiment with Third Party Viewers like Singularity.   Cool Viewer might be worth a look, too.   Both of them are  more forgiving of lower-RAM machines, certainly, than are the Official Viewer and some other TPVs.   But there's no magic fix.  

• 2 weeks later...

As has been said, you have nothing to lose by installing Second Life on your laptop and seeing how well the machine can cope with the demands SL places on it. 

Please note my earlier point that SL isn't really designed to run a wireless connection.   It can run OK, but it's always better to connect your machine to the router with a cable.

If you do try SL on your machine, you can very easily find the technical details we need to advise you.   Simply click on Help, at the top of the SL viewer's screen, and choose the option "About Second Life" (at the end of the menu).

That opens up a window with some technical information about which version of SL you are running, then a section starting "You are at ..." which gives you some technical info about the region, and then, underneath that, you get to the bit you'll need.

It's the section that starts "CPU:" and it tells you about the machine's CPU, the Operating System, and the Graphics Card.   Those are the three items people here will need to be able to help you.

This is what it looks like for me:

Just copy the equivalent lines in your viewer and paste them here, and that will tell technically-minded people what they need to know so they can advise you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.