Problems with unicode

MissLynnHyun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having an issue with some characters showing up as squares in chat and on names. I have windows 10 fully updated and the recent version of the firestorm viewer. My partner does not have this issue and they have the same OS and version of firestorm.

This is what I see on one of my group titles: https://gyazo.com/30007a1679718d55af2a940dcfe125b2

My partner sees a heart there.

I've tried installing language packs, using different fonts, nothing works. I didn't have this issue this past spring, so I'm not sure why it's an issue now.

Anyone know how to fix this?

• 4 years later...
On 12/1/2015 at 2:22 PM, MissLynnHyun said:

I'm having an issue with some characters showing up as squares in chat and on names. I have windows 10 fully updated and the recent version of the firestorm viewer. My partner does not have this issue and they have the same OS and version of firestorm.

This is what I see on one of my group titles: https://gyazo.com/30007a1679718d55af2a940dcfe125b2

My partner sees a heart there.

I've tried installing language packs, using different fonts, nothing works. I didn't have this issue this past spring, so I'm not sure why it's an issue now.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Been having this issue for awhile now.  Something to do with unsupported font blah blah blah.  That's what happens when people try to be 'unique' and use the different fonts.  I take it as a sign it was probably not worth my time reading anyway.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It means you don't have that particular font installed in your operating system on your computer.

I've also noticed sl doesn't support some fonts.  People try to use them in their display names and they show for a moment then revert back.

• Like 1

Most Unicode characters are supported by the SL viewers for Windows. Fewer are supported by the SL viewers for Linux. The least of them are supported by the SL viewers for MacOS.

Example: the so-called regional indicators can be shown in Windows, but not in MacOS: 🇹🇪🇸🇹

[Update] Yesterday, I noticed that Firestorm for Windows can display the poop emoji in Local Chat. 💩 Maybe it will show in a Display Name too? I haven't tried yet.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Most Unicode characters are supported by the SL viewers for Windows. Fewer are supported by the SL viewers for Linux. The least of them are supported by the SL viewers for MacOS.

Example: the so-called regional indicators can be shown in Windows, but not in MacOS: 🇹🇪🇸🇹

[Update] Yesterday, I noticed that Firestorm for Windows can display the poop emoji in Local Chat. 💩 Maybe it will show in a Display Name too? I haven't tried yet.

Letc us hope not on the display names.

On 7/18/2020 at 11:48 PM, Mollymews said:

the Linden advice on displayname characters is here:

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000135215-display-names

in the link text it mentions "most" unicode characters.  "most" is not defined but what I have found (admittedly with little testing as we can only change our displayname once a week) is that "most" seems to mean the characters contained on the Basic Multilingual Plane, which in the Linden viewer case are the 2-byte characters within the UTF-16 specification

more on the Basic Multilingual Plane here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Unicode_In_5_Minutes

Might help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.