I bought a sim and the employee said it has all set alright and nobody can enter, no need for orb

examining

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

...but I checked with my alt and there is no security whatsoever.  How to put an orb and set the friends that I allow to enter?

Tks

P. S. 's

1. Did not receive any notecard or IM about security.

2. Why, is random visitors my only hope for company?  Can't I teleport a friend after all?

3. I'll check for orbs as I think the covenant says to avoid bans.

4. I'm so happy I did it!

4 answers to this question

The only way to prevent people from entering entirely is to put up ban lines. You can do this under "About Land" when you are the owner of the land. They're not very attractive, though. 

To put up a security orb, first you must buy a security orb. There are tons out there. which more or less work the same way. Pick one. I find having one with a highly adjustable radius works best - you want it to affect all or most of your land, but ONLY  your land, so you want something with enough customizable settings to do that well. Usually it works best in the center of your land. To use it, consult the instructions for whichever one you buy. 

• Like 1

For total privacy, what you really want is a private estate that does not have a common border with any other land.  That way, nobody can fly or walk onto your region.  You won't need ghastly offensive ban lines, and you can keep teleporting visitors out with a rather simple security orb.  It could get kind of lonely out there, all by yourself, but you'd have privacy.

Wait ....  I think we're all talking about something different.  You said you had just bought "a sim".  A sim is a full region, 65536 sq m.  If you bought a region, then of course you did not receive any notice about security.  You own the whole thing, so YOU decide what the security is.  That's why Ariel and I replied the way we did.  If you own a region, YOU write the covenant and YOU decide whether you want to use a security orb or unsightly ban lines.  There is no "employee" to tell you what to do.  The TOS (sect. 4.8), says, "You may permit or deny other users to access your Virtual Land on terms determined by you. "

From your most recent note, I suspect that you have not been talking about a region at all.  It sounds like you have bought a parcel, a small portion of a region.  In that case, you DO have a covenant and a responsibility to whoever owns the region.  They have the ultimate say over what sort of security system you may use.  On the region I own, for example, I will not permit ban lines or the use of any security orb below 300m elevation.  I wrote that right into my covenant.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.