irihapeti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

has been a whisper for some while now that LL are thinking about a new avatar rig for SL, alongside the existing

has been another whisper since that the new rig will be compatible with Sansar

that be quite good

can look the same in both SL and Sansar

other thing is that clothes/attachments/etc made for the new rig would be transferable between the worlds

that be quite good as well I think

dunno how true the whispers are tho. Might be true tho. Hope so

What means "avatar rig" ?

I'd be thrilled with a complete replacement of the system avatars with something Sansar-compatible. I'll jump for joy when I can flush all traces of these godforsaken third-party mesh avatars down the Trash.

But I haven't heard these "whispers" and don't realy understand "rig". That word suggests something altogether different -- although also altogether meaningless in this context, I think.

am not sure if it means a Avatar 2.0

could be just a customisable bones rig compatible with Sansar. And maybe some kinda Avatar 2.0 built on it. Best practices maybe ?! Dunno exactly

is lots of whispers about SL all the time. and I never really gave this one much. Until I read what was in the comments on this Firestorm jira about LL making server changes to break the mesh hacks on the existing avatar 1.0 rig

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-17144

i dont think the Firestorm people got all the inside track but they dont normally put stuff in writing unless they heard something to back it up

+

so i ask somebody else if was Avatar 2.0. and they said they understood that the thinking is that Sansar and SL compatibility in terms of avatars would be something worth thinking about

given that the SL Avatar 1.0 is a non-starter on Sansar, and that distinctly different looking avatars on each dont do much to help people transition

this person said that it would be some kinda backport from Sansar to SL seems like

again dunno how true. whispers

hope it is true tho

I'm not sure about a new "rig."  And sometimes I wish I bookmarked more stuff because right now my google fu is failing me so I can't document this.

Shortly before Ebbe leaked that they we(re working on a new world Oz stated that they were going to tackle updating the Ava but for us not to get our hopes up too high because it was more complicated than met the eye. But then after the Great Leakage, it was stated that the project to upgrade the Ava was being dropped.  That's the only thing I can remember hearing about.

And as an aside, I'm of the persuasion that no major project would be approved for SL unless is had a direct benefit or application to Sansar in some manner.  

Perrie Juran wrote:

I'm of the persuasion that no major project would be approved for SL unless is had a direct benefit or application to Sansar in some manner.  

yes i think so as well

i think that if this does happen then would be about the transistion. I cant see any other business case for it that makes any sense

backporting existing code into SL from a existing solution (Sansar) would be a doable project I think, and would fit with such a business case

+

i remember reading as well that Oz Linden said they were dropping any more thinking about a Avatar 2.0 specifically for SL. And also Ebbe Linden saying about the difficulties that come when thinking thru porting existing SL content to Sansar

now that Sansar is starting to take shape then maybe Somebody Linden thought what if we look at backporting some stuff that could help with the transistion. And the Sansar rig come out of it 

Alwin Alcott wrote:

i wouldn't count on it to much or put high amounts of money on bets for this.... it's like making windows 3.1 compatible with W10...won't work that well and give very disapointing results

true about betting big on it. I wouldnt either. Is interesting tho

+

about the second

depends on how much is backported. If is made quite clear that a Sansar rig is basically incompatible with the existing SL rig, and that only a subset of the morph/animations features of Sansar are available in SL, then leaves a skeleton and rendering and mesh morphs (fitted mesh and maybe automagic alpha occlusion) as the biggie part of the port

and if so then a model made to this subset would work in both SL and Sansar. which would be attractive to SL mesh body and clothes makers at this time I think

particularly I think given that can sell this model in SL, where the buyers are and will likely stay as well for some time, knowing that when bought it will also work on Sansar when it goes public

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.