using profile pic from SL inventory

Winter Phoenix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dont care for the newer viewers.  I prefer the old school viewers.  For some reason I cant figure out how to use a pic out of my inventory for the profile pic.  ( You know, like I have for YEARS)  Keeps asking me to download one from my harddrive or something.  What am I missing?  Must be a button I'm not seeing somewhere, right?

In other news,  I also hate these new forums!  Someone is thinking this is progress.

I beg to differ ;)

Hi!

On 2.5.2 you can't use pictures from your inventory as profile picture. All you can do is upload picture from your harddrive (and it does not cost any Linden which is good). If you want picture from your inventory, take pic, save it to your harddive (does not cost anything) and then upload it to web profile.

1. open image in sl
  2. press "Save As" button
  3. save image to your HD
  4. open profile for editing
  5. select image from your HD
  6. save and enjoy.

Did you know that you can save snapshots directly to your HD and avoid the 10L$ upload fee? take hundreds of pictures, choose the best ones, use image editing software to crop, adust, or enhance your images, and only upload the images you really WANT to upload to SL.

Now profiles don't require a user to have L$, in order to add photos or screenshots to their profile. This is actually a pretty massive improvement if you ask me.

Winter Ventura wrote:

1. open image in sl
  2. press "Save As" button
  3. save image to your HD
  4. open profile for editing
  5. select image from your HD
  6. save and enjoy.

Did you know that you can save snapshots directly to your HD and avoid the 10L$ upload fee? take hundreds of pictures, choose the best ones, use image editing software to crop, adust, or enhance your images, and only upload the images you really WANT to upload to SL.

Now profiles don't require a user to have L$, in order to add photos or screenshots to their profile. This is actually a pretty massive improvement if you ask me.

Sayyy what??? Made me just push down on that big 'WTF' button.  So if I want to use one of the 'backup' profile pics I have in my inventory,  I have to upload it to my hard drive first?  Winter baby, I've always loved you, I know its just cus of the name
;)
 and though I agree with your " download all your pics to your hard drive first" thingy, ( been doing it for years), but NOT being able to access your inventory pics from inside the game, even if only for this purpose, BLOWS.  I'm sure this is only a temporary thing while they tweak the system, well...FRIGGIN HOPE SO.  Otherwise its just something else to annoy this old timer.  Hands you a Werthers.
:)

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but doesn't "Save Image As" save it as a .tga file, and to upload something in a web browser, does not recognize .tga as valid images?  So... you have to go through the extra steps of opening the file in an editor that knows what a .tga is, and save it as .jpg or .png...

Sounds like a lot of trouble if you ask me.

• Lindens

Yeah, the current path is an odd, confusing roundabout and would benefit us to be integrated better — especially for all of you who are used to uploading textures to your Second Life inventory to use them. I've seen suggestions before to save textures to disk as .PNG (in addition to .TGA), which is a web-friendly format. I agree with this.

So relearning may be puzzling, but as Winter Ventura points out, makes more sense when you consider broad compatibility. Approach it from a fresh perspective and hopefully you'll get used to it? Let us know in the future.

In the meantime, what I suggest going forward: if you're uploading textures from your hard drive to SL, keep the local versions close at hand so you can upload them to your web profile, Marketplace, Flickr stream, and other web places you use. There are many times I've seen one image re-purposed across multiple sites.

• 4 months later...

Well how can you use pictures you already have in your inventory that are No Mod, or No Transfer?

Not all photographers send their pictures with full permissions to their customers.

Last night i had to explain to someone to download a picture to their computer first and then they had trouble finding it there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

It's not so simple as to download to your hard drive and then send back to SL. When you save pics to your inventory and then send them to your desktop - they are automatically ready for your profile, and will not look squashed. I usually send pics to my hard drive because it's free and I'm not using them for profile, but when I want a profile pic I save to inventory. But I'm using the old viewer and so have few problems with anything. I tried the new viewer but was put off by the number of warnings, windows, redundant messages and so on. And now to hear you can't use pics from inventory for your profile? That sounds just like the new viewer - way fewer options and a lot more limits.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.