Friends and Profiles matter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let's have a general discussion of the SL profile that comes up when you right click a resident. Is it good enough? Does it present too much or too little information? What would be the ideal design for it? Let's also discuss how friends are handled in SL. Should they be more visible in the profile? Can friends be managed in the system in a better way? In the age of Facebook, is the SL system outdated?

Lets put our ideas into words.

I prefer the way friends are managed. My SL is my SL, my RL is my RL. I keep them separate. Facebook lets casual acquainances, actually, too far into my RL. Too many offer "friendship" after a brief casual conversation. Those I want in my RL, and there are very few of those, I contact them when we're ready.

Who my friends are in SL is no one elses business but my own.

What is it with people wanting to know every detail of other's lives? Twitter every move you make, post pictures on Facebook, etc. SL isn't Facebook. It's a place where I can go to be whoever and whatever I want to be with no judgement of me in my RL. I do things and explore things in SL that I couldn't in RL and some of my RL family would not understand. I'm a private person and keep the 2 worlds separate. I want to keep my SL it that way, thank you very much.

I don't even look at the web based profiles and I am not at all interested in the feeds or who is on your friends list.  It is not anyone's business who is on my friends list or not.  I opt to use the legacy profile in Firestorm, which I know a lot of people use, and suits me just fine. 

As far as managing friends, I do that just fine.  Firestorm allows you to group them into categories you choose, such as Close Friends, acquaintances, Business Contacts etc.  I go through my friends list at least once a year and cull it. 

SL is not Facebook or Twitter, thank God, and should not strive to be.  If you want it to be, just put a link to your Facebook page in your profile.

I like it the way it is......the people on my friends list are just that folks i want to be there.....like the other ladies have said i want to keep it that way.....personally, i don't think its outdated at all.....for those people that want to be more public there are other avenues to do that on.

JMHO,

Josephine

I don't use the web version inworld and the profiles as set up work fine. Honestly, if some daft system was implemented to 'show friends list' a la FB what could it possibly accomplish? If we got a bounty for 'most pointless additions in a given week' then fine :) More to the point, how would you handle opting out (as can be done in showing groups) without adding even more spaghetti code?

There are more than enough avenues for 'communication'  (I know of several avatar focussed ones). Why try to bolt on something already available that adds nothing? 

Got to echo all the above really.

The only thing I would really change is to make the use of calling cards (which I only really discovered a few weeks ago) rather than 'friends' the usual and easy way of 'adding' someone to your list. I would rather keep my friends list (with the ability to see I'm online and get pop-ups about them etc) to actual friends, rather than just acquaintances.

From what I briefly read, it seems that LL depreciated that some time ago.

Other than that, I haven't found any issues with the way the friends list works or the information it gives. I certainly wouldn't want any more information automatically sharing. If I'm interested in someone, I might look at their SL profile to see what they want me to know about their SL self and if we are likely to get on or clash, and check for specifics if appropriate. I'll also check it before I send a friend request, although by the time I'm thinking of doing that I probably already know the person reasonably well by actually talking to them for some time.

I don't use facebook and never will.

ETA: actually, there is one other thing I might change, that's the online notification that is available in more ways than just by looking at your friends list. Sometimes I just want to log in and be on my own, usually because RL is being so rotten that I just need the space and I'm not fit company. So, I would prefer to be able to do that, with my main avatar, without having to think about who might want to talk to me or have to explain myself, however briefly, even if it's someone I normally would really enjoy talking to.

I don't know if the other viewers have it, but if you absolutely have to connect to Facebook because you're going through withdrawals or something, Firestorm has a button you can have in your toolbar to press and go to Facebook. It's there by default when you first open the browser and is the first button I remove from the bar followed by the one that give you access to the starter avis,,,and what's up with that. They're ugly.

I like that idea to be able to completely hide yourself from everyone. I also don't like Facebook too.

Actually, I mentioned Facebook to suggest if maybe elements of its design could be used in the SL profile. Are there any design elements from any other social software that you'd like to see in SL?

Perhaps if we can tag locations we go to and want to share that with friends? More tha just placing the landmark in your picks but actually showing how often you are visiting? 

Bree Giffen wrote: Are there any design elements from any other social software that you'd like to see in SL?

Yes.

I wish the mute and block we have in SL was the same as Facebook has: the moment you block someone on Facebook you do not exist at all for eachother anymore.

No cloud, no appearance in feed or wherever, just total non-existence.

Bree Giffen wrote:

Perhaps if we can tag locations we go to and want to share that with friends? More tha just placing the landmark in your picks but actually showing how often you are visiting? 

You can tag locations in your feed if you want to do that.  I wouldn't want the profile showing how often I visit  locations.  No one needs to know where I go or how often I go unless I elect to tell them.

I use legacy profiles because they tell me enough about the person, without TMI, to start a conversation.  They also allow me to tell the world information that I want public.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.