Multiple Versions of a single world?

bgee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I own a parcel of land, and I want to try developing it in several different ways. Can I make it one way, say version 1, save it, then clear the land and build out version 2? I want to be able to access version 1 and version 2 of the land. Is that possible, or are all changes permanent, meaning that for a given parcel, you can only see it the way it currently is?

thanks

becky

If you're looking to have it appear as one setting to user 1 and another to user 2 at the same time, then no.

If you want to make a build, save it with everything in position and then take it into your inventory, there are building aids such as Rez-Faux, Rez-Foo etc. that allow you to do this to a degree.

It sounds to me like you want an instancing solution, which I'd love to see myself, but it isn't available.

The terraforming of the land is something you can't switch back and forth with any easy method at the parcel level.

If you can come up with a single terraforming plan that works for multiple layouts of the buildings, trees, and other features, there are ways to "switch back and forth" between versions.

The easiest method would be to limit yourself primarily to copy/mod OK items and prim plants. Then you could pack layout A in a one-prim rezzer box, and pack layout B in a second 1-prim rezzer box, and switch between them by using rezzer A to 'clean' the area and remove the prims it rezzed, then use rezzer B to "Build" and set out the items for layout B. "Builder's Buddy" is a free rezzer system that can do this for you. It's available here:

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/15/ff/96777/1.html

Go to the last post in the thread for the latest version.

The limiting factor here is that a rezzer system needs to have you add a 'component' script to each linkset that you want it to produce, which means you can't use it with Linden 1-prim plants or no-mod items that you can't add scripts to. You also need to have copy permissions to be able to have the rezzer set the items out more than once. 

So for example, you could have something like this:

Layout A: 12 prim trees and a 'pup tent' and a campfire, for a "camping in the woods" layout. The layout also includes a flat area of prim grass that covers a hole in the terraforming that the other layout uses for its swimming pool.

Layout B: 4 different prim trees, a modern house (2 linksets), and a patio with a hole for for a swimming pool. The pool itself is no-copy, so after rezzing layout B, you would rez the pool from your inventory and position it as needed. To switch back to layout A, take the pool back into inventory, then use the rezzers to clean up layout B's prims and set up Layout A's prims.

Stuff that the rezzers can't deal with, like a no-copy scripted bed, can be manually placed from inventory when the layout calls for it.

Well, it IS possible to do what you want in certain cases -- sorta. 

When you own an entire island, you can create the land heightfields in your own computer and then upload it to SL.  That then allows you to have the land design in your computer and gives you the ability to change it at a whim. 

However, in practice, you will find that once you've built stuff on a parcel of land, changing it around and ruining the builds already there is one of the last things you want to do.  It may take seconds to change the land, but it takes a week to move stuff around and fix the island again -- the prims and their location don't change when the land does.  This is why one of the most important things when buying an island is to spend a week and terraform it right the first time.  Because once you put out 10,000 prim, you don't want to mess with them anymore than absolutely necessary. 

Then there's the whole issue about how stupidly expensive a private island is, and how you can kiss your money goodbye when you spend the 2K$ (because you don't actually own it, according to LL) to acquire it...

I strongly recommend Novatech's HORIZONS holodeck system, for swapping objects around.  It's a great system, very robust and reliable, max "scene" size is 14998 prims over 256x256x4096 (i.e. the only limits on size are SL's hard limits).  Objects have to have both copy and mod permission to be usable with any holodeck system, but the only other real limits beyond that are your imagination and skill.  At L$2500 for HORIZONS Pro (lets you create copy+trans scenes to give/sell to others), it's frankly a bargain, script quality is excellent, very talented creator who is more than happy to have intelligent discussions over features/operation of his products.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.