Tech help needed!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im lost, and not the best when it comes to techie things. 

I have an Optiplex 755 sff, 6 gb ram, Dual Core E7500, and I need to upgrade my video card.  Power is only 275 watts.  Any suggestions?  This lag is killing me!

Please, dont say a better pc.  I wish that were in the cards right now.

Thanks in advance!

felinekisses wrote:

Im lost, and not the best when it comes to techie things. 

I have an Optiplex 755 sff, 6 gb ram, Dual Core E7500, and I need to upgrade my video card.  Power is only 275 watts.  Any suggestions?  This lag is killing me!

Please, dont say a better pc.  I wish that were in the cards right now.

Thanks in advance!

275 watts is going to really mess you up. That won't power... Well, any GPU worth buying, really.

Really, you're going to have to buy a better power supply if you want to upgrade your video card.

Further... An Optiplex 755? I don't think you could fit a video card in there anyway. Really, your best bet is to buy a better power supply, buy a video card, then throw away your case and mount the mobo and components to a piece of plywood or something (which I have done, it's not pretty, but great for accessing parts for cleaning and upgrading).

Or buy a better PC.

Jean Horten wrote:

According to the  
the mainboard has got a PCI-Ex16 slot on the mainboard, so you should be able to put in a widespread variety of gpus if you upgrade the psu too.

This gpu should fit your case: 

What is your budget for a new gpu?

J.

I think they have to be half height cards to fit in the case.

Yeah, unfortunately SL Go was the best bet with these constraints (assuming internet bandwidth isn't another constraint).

The problem is that a videocard is just the beginning of what's limiting this machine. This is a 2008 machine, and a "business" PC at the time.

I'm afraid that any upgrade to this thing is just throwing good money after bad.

Instead, I'd suggest cranking down graphics settings to the bare minimum (especially draw distance), using the least-taxing viewer available, and saving up for a replacement.

Ohjiro Watanabe wrote:

Jean Horten wrote:

According to the  
the mainboard has got a PCI-Ex16 slot on the mainboard, so you should be able to put in a widespread variety of gpus if you upgrade the psu too.

This gpu should fit your case: 

What is your budget for a new gpu?

J.

I think they have to be half height cards to fit in the case.

The card size fits the given space for a gpu in the computer's specs.

J.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.