Help guide for making avatar.

Aerrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.

I just signed up for second life and would first like to say that although it  is a bit overwhelming, I am really impressed with the obvious attention to detail and the also obvious intelligence and imagination which has gone into it.

However, I have to say that I am really creeped out by the voice on the basic guide to creating an avatar.  It is so determinedly cheerful that I feel as if I am listening to an infomercial. [And for an additional $9.99, your Whipper comes with...!!!!!!!!!!!]   Also, what is certainly not your fault, but my own admittedly non-tech mentality, the voice and video reminded me of the computer generated voice in the movie Wally, which, among other excited announcements, told us that the new color is blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This has added to my general uncertainty about getting involved in this activity.  But I am also a curious person, so I am going to persevere.  

I hope I haven't insulted you or shown my stupid side. Thanks for listening.

andrea 

That voice will probably have been Torley Linden's.

Torley rocks and is an ever cheerful soul, always willing to help and spread awesomness! :smileyvery-happy:

Torley does most of the videos for SL guides etc and, while a few people may find is cheerful persona off-putting, I think most appreciate it. I know I'd much rather have a cheerful voice that a boring 'matter of fact' voice!

Either way - don't let something as simple as a voice put you off from getting involved in SL. That's SL all over - a whole host of different people with different personalities from all around the world. It's almost certain that some of those people might not be to your taste but, hopefully, many will. :)

• Lindens

Friendly greetings Aerrin, an awesome welcome to Second Life. These Residents have said it!

Sometimes I parody the infomercial style since it's so familiar — but at the core of it all is being human with a sense of humor, reflective of my sense of wonder about Second Life, which it sounds like you're beginning to experience, too. And I always wish to share that as a Linden Lab employee, I'm a real person with a personality and feelings like you... not a robot. :)

I once tried an experiment where I used a deliberately boring ("conventional robot") voice in some videos. Let me see if I can find... oh yeah,

. That wasn't even the most monotone/sedate one... you should've heard the feedback on those.

In any case, if you prefer a more "neutral" approach, we do have written instructions for many things in our Knowledge Base. We've actually just moved to this new community site, so pardon us while dust settles.

Thank YOU for sharing!

P.S. Wall-E rocks, Ben Burtt is an amazing sound designer.

Torley Linden wrote:

I once tried an experiment where I used a deliberately boring ("conventional robot") voice in some videos. Let me see if I can find... oh yeah,
. That wasn't even the most monotone/sedate one... you should've heard the feedback on those.

Actually, I noticed a while ago that you seemed more 'conventional' in one of your videos - I think it might have been the one you did when Display Names was first introduced. I remember wondering if you had done that because it's quite a detailed, important and hotly debate issue. Whatever the reason was, I also remember thinking you sounded so unlike you and I wanted to shake you and say "Oi! Why didn't you say 'friendly greetings' and be all jovial!" :smileyvery-happy:

Welcome, Aerrin!

If it will put your mind at ease, the voce for Torley is not staged or an act or anything like that.  He really is that cheerful, and it is infectious :)

Videos and written guides can be helpful but the best way is really to get some live assistance in world from other residents.  New Citizen's Institute is a great place to start (Search for NCI and you will find them).  Another place I know of is caled The Shealter bui I have not been there personally.

• Lindens

Suella Ember wrote:

Torley Linden wrote:

Actually, I noticed a while ago that you seemed more 'conventional' in one of your videos - I think it might have been the one you did when Display Names was first introduced. I remember wondering if you had done that because it's quite a detailed, important and hotly debate issue. Whatever the reason was, I also remember thinking you sounded so unlike you and I wanted to shake you and say "Oi! Why didn't you say 'friendly greetings' and be all jovial!" :smileyvery-happy:

Sharp ears, Suella! *shakes self* Yes, that was most likely it — sometimes when I'm given video projects at Linden Lab, I'm requested to try different tone/phrasing. Sometimes the message is more formal, and calls for subtlety. Sometimes I read from a script instead of ad-libbing. Besides, I'd mangle legalese if left to my own devices.

Suffice to say, I like the opportunity of learning different styles (just as I enjoy being different avatars/personalities) but across everything, "Torley classic" has had the best broad feedback and I have gratefully flooded inboxes asking for "MORE!" to show for it.

(Sorry, I'll stop derailing this thread now so Aerrin can get on with enjoying her Second Life!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.