If you have a problem. If no one else can help....

Richtea57

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Richtea57 wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

So a question for you, Richtea, and I am guessing this is in your field od expertise and not Daves:

Which biscuit is best for dunking?

I want to sound all posh and fancy and say something along the lines of Hob Nob, but the truth is it's got to be the reliable Richtea. A Digestive has a far better soaking quality, but that is seriously offset by its fragilty. 

Ah....I tried those. I do like them a lot. But, they tend to break so easily!

I should have mentioned perhaps, I do not dunk in tea  - I do not believe in drinking hot water - but I prefer Ovalmaltine (or Horlicks as you probably call it).

Do you think dunking in malt drinks requires a different biscuit?

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

So a question for you, Richtea, and I am guessing this is in your field od expertise and not Daves:

Caity, Caity, Caity!

Why waste a critical discussion topic on a portmanteau thread such as this. And don't you dare go and ask them over in Answers!

This question deserves a whole Friday thread of its own.

[For our colonial friends "biscuit" is real English for what you call a "cookie".]

Oops.....I may post it again tomorrow and perhaps I could then also mention the Bourbon, which I do not like but are always in the majority in those packs with 'assorted' biscuits.

Assorted biscuits are just very, very wrong. Come to think of it; so are boxes of chocolates..and neapolitan ice cream...and anything described as 'Treat Sized'....and...oh I'm so angry now

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Richtea57 wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

I want to sound all posh and fancy and say something along the lines of Hob Nob, but the truth is it's got to be the reliable Richtea. A Digestive has a far better soaking quality, but that is seriously offset by its fragilty. 

I should have mentioned perhaps, I do not dunk in tea  - I do not believe in drinking hot water - but I prefer Ovalmaltine (or Horlicks as you probably call it).

Ah, that would be the ones with pictures of grazing cows on them; malted milk, I believe.

Richtea57 wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Richtea57 wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Ah, that would be the ones with pictures of grazing cows on them; malted milk, I believe.

For milky drinks my personal preference is something my now sadly departed grandmother used to consider her special treat: Marie biscuit sandwiches. This involved slathering one Marie biscuit (very difficult to find now, and relatively expensive for what are simple plain thin tasteless rounds in their unenhanced form) with heart-blocking amounts of full-fat butter, then placing another on top.

The dunking process has a visual aspect, with melted butter forming golden spirals in the froth of the milky drink, but don't do it with tea, it just looks like scum.

I have to admit that there is a degree of danger of disintegration, but I limit my risk by consuming the whole snack in one.

[it didn't do much harm to my Gran; she lasted until her late 80s.]

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Richtea57 wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Richtea57 wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

For milky drinks my personal preference is something my now sadly departed grandmother used to consider her special treat: Marie biscuit sandwiches. This involved slathering one
(very difficult to find now, and relatively expensive for what are simple plain thin tasteless rounds in their unenhanced form) with heart-blocking amounts of full-fat butter, then placing another on top.

The dunking process has a visual aspect, with melted butter forming golden spirals in the froth of the milky drink, but don't do it with tea, it just looks like scum.

I have to admit that there is a degree of danger of disintegration, but I limit my risk by consuming the whole snack in one.

[it didn't do much harm to my Gran; she lasted until her late 80s.]

Marie Biscuits!! I love those! Thank you for reminding me.

They are the most common biscuits overhere, plenty and cheap...sheesh, how come I forgot about those...!

We call them, as we like to translate everything: Maria Biscuits.

/me runs off to supermarket

LlazarusLlong wrote:

I should mention that I am avid reader of the web site 
which has its main focus on biscuits, but also covers cakes and tea.  Could you ask for more?

[Perhaps you could ask for it to be updated, as it has not been since 2008 . . . but trawling the "feedback" is interesting.]

I do frequent http://www.mcvities.com/ & https://www.facebook.com/pages/McVities/112450312101535#  myself.

600px-Biscuit_tins_VA_2490.jpg

Getting these in the States is a bit of a chore.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Biscuit?!?!? You don't dunk Biscuits, you dunk cookies.. and Donuts. Biscuits get covered in gravy.

The reply I knew would come...\0/

/me facepalms.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Biscuit?!?!? You don't dunk Biscuits, you dunk cookies.. and Donuts. Biscuits get covered in gravy.

The reply I knew would come...

...from someone who had not read the whole thread carefully - see this post.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

...from someone who had not read the whole thread carefully -

Oh yes, we love our [southern] buttermilk biscuits and [sausage] gravy here in the States. In fact several States have declared this a Food Group all by itself. Toss in a rasher of bacon or a slab of grilled ham, some hash browns and some eggs and you have a complete meal to give you enough energy for the whole day and/or the trigger for your next coronary.

B&G.jpg

But this said, we do also know 'bout them Digestives as well. We just call them "cakes" as in tea and cake. Not to be confused with hot cakes or griddle cakes of course.

But that said the purveyors of Tea and Cake experiences here in the States have upped the ante to that of a Gourmet Rave!

http://www.vintageteaandcake.com/afternoontea/

Postscript: All this chatting has me in the mood for a cup of my fave Earl Grey with a chocolate dipped biscotti. I'm off to my local morning liquid and crumb place of business.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Who reads the whole thread before posting?

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Errr.

I do. So I make sure my, possible, comment is relevant and makes sense....

(in cases of TLDR, I refrain from commenting at all)

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Errr.

Well, i had not refresed the page before posting (i was dealing with a sick teenaged daughter who seems to think the world is ending because she has a cold) and didn't realize there were other posts. Forgive my error. I will try not to let it happen again..

Perhaps LL should have an auto-refresh installed..

ETA.. spelling goes down with lack of sleep...

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Errr.

Well, i had not refresed the page before posting (i was dealing with a sick teenaged daughter who seems to think the world is ending because she has a cold) and didn't realize there were other posts. Forgive my error. I will try not to let it happen again..

Perhaps LL should have an auto-refresh installed..

ETA.. spelling goes down with lack of sleep...

I hope your daughter feels better soon!

And...lol, Drake, come on...you answered a day later than my post.

You cannot seriously blame a non-refreshing of the page, not in this time-span.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Damn! Now those annoying 'nucks are going to start banging on about poutine . . .

. . . and I will have to retaliate with curry and chips.

Fear not.

This is one who had long understood that that particular dish was nothing more than a separatist Quebecois plot to overthrow the rightful rulers of this nation by lulling us into obesity, arteriosclerosis and coronary disease, and eventual early death.

I invite the purveyors of said dish to coller dans le cul, svp.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Hey, it was only 18 hours later...

I had the reply tab open and forgot about it while taking care of her.. Who knew ginger ale had to have the "correct level of flatness" apparently i was making it to flat..

You have my sympathies Drake. I have one that transformed into a psychosomatic diva two days ago when she turned seventeen.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Hey, it was only 18 hours later...

I had the reply tab open and forgot about it while taking care of her.. Who knew ginger ale had to have the "correct level of flatness" apparently i was making it to flat..

Oh. Now I understand, my apologies!

Yes, the correct level of flatness is extremely important!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.