Hamlet Au flogs Facebook on New World Notes (again)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Even more farfetched was this moment from his interview with Rod Humble:

At the end of our conversation, Rod Humble asked me what I thought the best first fix to Second Life should be. I said: "Facebook integration with a cloud-deployed version of SL with single point-and-click avatar movement."

That was Hamlet's first best fix.

He has some strange hobbyhorses he likes to ride.

DanielRavenNest Noe wrote:

All I can say is read the first comment, and expect more like it.

Okay, checked the link, not something I am interested in reading since I refuse to use Facebook. I do have one question, though. Why should anyone pay attention to anything this Hamlet Au says? I've never heard of him/her before this so why would his/her opinion matter?

Irrespective of Hamlet's apparent obsession with Facebook at the moment, what's more important is Amanda's clarifications in that post of his.

It was perhaps a bit unfortunate that she said Facebook was "the best place" to find out about SL in that original blog post, but she went on to clarify that in the comments to that blog post, and her responses to Hamlet in that article of his clear things up too. Everything she says there is how it should be - all about choice.

As an individual I dislike Facebook and will probably never use it, but as someone who loves SL I fully support giving people the choice of various levels of cross-linking SL with Facebook. Any business with an online presence would be foolish not to offer some cross-linking with Facebook given however many millions of users it has!

I personally find tumblr more useful for quick posting sl experiences...I use facebook more to follow businesses I use to get deals and notices of new offers/products. Twitter also is cool. I do understand the labs desire to get sl more visible in the rl world and that indeed, for this month at least-lol-, is Facebook.

Henry Darkthief wrote

I do have one question, though. Why should anyone pay attention to anything this Hamlet Au says? I've never heard of him/her before this so why would his/her opinion matter?

Wagner James Au (the human behind Hamlet Au the avatar) used to work for Linden Lab as their "embedded journalist":

http://nwn.blogs.com/about.html

and published a book "The Making of Second Life":  http://www.amazon.com/dp/0061353205

So he is more than just another random blogger just for the fact that people outside SL would pay him more attention due to his background.

You are right, he is more than a blogger! He is a journalist and has aso been sort of doing consulting and it is more than SL these days, he also covers social 'worlds' in a way. I would have to say that I might not agree with him, but there is one factor...journalism is rife with short quick word repetitions and idea repititions for the sake of search engines and to expand on the short initial headlines and attention grabbers. He might not do the same thing, but he sure as heck is not the only one talking about facebook as if it is the second comming ofthe world wide web itself.

EVERYONE is selling facebook so much it is like door to door salesman. I think I will pass. Not saying they are offering a bad product, but I smell a rip off when there is this much hype.

I say the definition of a good blogger or journalist is one who can write around  their own personal biases, not include them at every convenient opportunity. Hamlet cannot do that, he's shown it over and over again on this topic, and I personally believe it's because he's so caught up in the fad and hype. He makes a few decent points about his idea of facebook being some sort of  "second coming" for SL, but like any experienced front man will do, he dodges any serious challenges to his stance and likes to reply with irrelevancies stated as hard-fact justification. It doesn't matter who he used to be, it's who he is now that's doing all the talking, and he does seem to be pretty much 'addicted' to social networking in the form of a facebook obsession. That's quite fine if it makes him all fuzzy inside, and it's his business how he devotes himself, but I'm not personally inclinded to value what he says on 'facebook integration' much further than the ink it's written with. Really, I mean one doesn't go ask a compulsive gambler about the risks and benefits of doing so and expect to receive an untainted, unbiased answer.. because you'll never get one.

Cato Badger wrote:

@Suella: "Unfortunate"? As far as I am concerned - and I am probably not alone - Amanda's credibility will never recover.

As is your (and others) prerogative.

I much prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and allow them to clarify their position though.

If I thought someone's 'cedibility would never recover' every time they made a statement that I thought was not completely accurate, that would mean I'd think that of most of my friends and most of my friends would probably think it of me. Even friends don't 100% agree 100% of the time. Thankfully my circle of friends, like me, have a more forgiving and less narrow minded attitude .

If you actually look at SL's page on Facebook, you will be hard-pressed to agree with Amanda's assertion. It's NOT a good place to find out about SL or what's going on in SL.  I doubt that even the most hard-core FB fan could see it that way.

It's one of the best places to feel embarrassed about SL.

The SL Facebook page is like a dirty billboard.  And if you read what's on there, it will make you cringe.

Twitter, on the other hand, is great place to find out what's going on in SL... even though (at least as far as I've seen) the Lindens and LL don't give much news.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.