I've got a problem! (avatar is online but I'm not)

Nosnibor Zerundi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When I try log into my account, SL gets stuck on "Loading world..." & never gets past that point. I just thought it was a logging in problem (which has a happened in the past) so I tried a few things with my computer which have worked in the past. But this time they didn't fix it. Then, I tried to log in with my alt. account which logged in just in just fine. When I check to see which of my friends were online it told me that my main account was online which I knew was wrong since SL wouldn't let me into that account!

Does anyone know how to fix my problem?

you've been ghosted. If you have a premium account and own the land you're ghosted on you could go into live chat and ask them to do a region reboot. That's the cleanest way of being released. Failing that, you can try logging into somewhere new. LL support suggest a sandbox. I got ghosted a few weeks back and they suggested newcombe (?) sandbox. It took a fair few attempts but I finally made it in and the ghosted account vanished. However between me appearing in the sandbox and actually being able to see what was happening (you actually appear inworld around half way along the login progress line) I was caged and when I could finally see where I was I was also being spammed with particle dog excreta. yay for sl huh? there are other claims that you can fix ghosting by having someone drop 1l or an object/LM on you or send you an IM. I've not seen those work in a long time but they're something you could try. Good luck.

If You know the sim where Your avatar is in and can see His dot on the mini-map You could open a case to get the sim restarted for Your still online avatar. That would log Him out.

Or You wait till the rolling grid restart, tomorrow might be the most sims restarted.

Or You can try to log in over and over to an other sim (that helped me once, but toke nearly an hour). If You succeed You need to find the other still logged in Avatar and meet Him in the same sim, so the sim sees that one is dead and it wouldn't block You next time again on login.

Since I can't find a reply button I make a comment:

@ Charolotte Caxton: your answer seems before people with Windows computers. CTL ALT DEL doesn't do anything on my Mac. I did go looking for a take manager or a SLPlugin but couldn't find any.

@Couldbe Yue: Live chat could work if I could get log into SL & start chat. I've tried to log into a the sandbox you suggested but ever times I try to log into SL I get stuck at "Loading world..." but I'll still try to log into a sandbox a few more times.

@Dil Spitz: I don't remember where my avatar was. I thought it was at my home location but my Alt has been there & my main account isn't there. I may have to wait for a rolling restart.

I am open to more suggestions.

you don't need to be inworld to do live chat support.. log into the website and go to https://support.secondlife.com/contact-support/ then click on the live chat https://support.secondlife.com/start-chat/ button. they're not 24/7 any more so you'll have to check their opening times but if logging into the sandbox has failed and you are premium then definitely live chat is the way to go.

Nosnibor Zerundi wrote:

@ Charolotte Caxton: your answer seems before people with Windows computers. CTL ALT DEL doesn't do anything on my Mac. I did go looking for a take manager or a SLPlugin but couldn't find any.

@Couldbe Yue: Live chat could work if I could get log into SL & start chat. I've tried to log into a the sandbox you suggested but ever times I try to log into SL I get stuck at "Loading world..." but I'll still try to log into a sandbox a few more times.

@Dil Spitz: I don't remember where my avatar was. I thought it was at my home location but my Alt has been there & my main account isn't there. I may have to wait for a rolling restart.

I am open to more suggestions.

You are not getting the normal message for a ghost, but the fact that you are showing as online would suggest that you do have one.

You can submit a ticket and at least LL will be looking for your ghost too and hopefully get it cleared before you find it.

In the meantime, assuming it is a normal ghost, it will refresh once every 15 mins & thats the gap that will allow you to login. Set your start location to "Smith" & just keep trying to log. If you do get in, you will be locked out again when you relog unless you confront your ghost with your real avvie, so in some ways its a bit of a pain if you dont` know where your ghost is.

I would do the ticket & login with an alt (preferably one with a good radar) and visit all the last places your real avvie has been and see if you can find it.

@ Charolotte: It's ok. :)

So: An Update!

I tried a few things to get the problem fixed but it wasn't working so I logged into my Alt. While logged in, I got a message that my main account had just gone offline which I thought meant the problem was fixed. But, No: the problem is still there it's just moved. Now when I log into my Alt here on the website it still says my main account is still online.

Does anyone know how to fix that?

@ Couldbe: how do you turn on mapping rights?

Nosnibor Zerundi is still showing as online, as I said in my other post it will refresh every 15 mins, so if you know the last time it went offline you could start trying to get it about 13 mins after that.

You need access to your friends list to give mapping rights to your alt, but they aren`t always much help with ghosts as they often show them to be out in the middle of the ocean or some strange location that isn`t accurate, but you can occasionally get lucky with it. A lot depends on how you got Ghosted, if it was a TP accident your more liely to be harder to find than if it was a crash crossing a sim wall.

I can't tell you how to do it in v2 as I don't use it but in v1 you go to your friends list and you'll see check boxes beside each name.. make sure the modify objects and the see on map boxes are ticked.

The mapping also means that you can see where they are when you're on the web page - good for when you get the sneaking suspicion that those pesky alts have logged in behind your back to steal your money and have a good time

mod objects is good for those times you've done something with one account and want to make changes when logged in with another.

and on the back of what Peewee has just said.. if you log your chat history then the last place you tp'd from may be in there (depends on the viewer but some put the tp from details in chat when the tp has completed). then it's just trying to remember where you went on that last tp.

if you don't remember where your logs are - log in with the alt and look at your preferences, there's a page where you can set it (again I don't know what viewer you're using, so I can't be more specific) and that will tell you where the logs are.

Your teleport_history.xml default location is:

(XP) - C: - Documents and Settings - (USER NAME) - AppData - SecondLife - Nosnibor Zerundi

(Vista) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Local - SecondLife - Nosnibor Zerundi

(Win 7) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Roaming - SecondLife - Nosnibor Zerundi

NOTE: You may need to go to Windows Tools > Folder Options > View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders, in order to see AppData folder.

I'm not back in. :( But I did find myself which is good & I asked the owner of the sim I was on to reset it. Which they did but... I still can't log into my account. As my alt I can see myself just standing there mocking me.

I haven't done a ticket yet because I'm exactly sure what exactly to say.

Thats great news, now you just need to force a login and then TP your real avvie over to meet your ghost and they will merge back together.

Do not try to login to the same sim as your ghost, set your start loaction to somewhere else such as "Smith" & keep clicking the login. As you are not getting the usual error message, just keep closing login and starting again when you are sure it has frozen up.

Is the message....Cannot login because you are still logging out, your account will be available at <whatever> time....and then the time just keeps changing?

That i sthe normal ghost message & it doesn`t usually take more than 15 mins to get it by ignoring that message and keep clicking login. I can see how it would be a problem if you don`t get the message everytime, because the window of opportunity to get in is very brief when your ghost refreshes every 14 mins (approx).

My sim got restarted for maintainance about an hour or so ago, so hopefully it won`t be long before they get to the one your ghost is on. Depending on how patient you are, you could keep trying to login or just use your alt and wait for LL to do their stuff. I can only imagine how frustrating it is watching it not login over & over :(

[RESOLVED Mar 8, 2011, 1:48PM PST- Today's rolling restarts for regions on the main Second Life server channel have been completed.

Today is only the production deployment - the release candidates don't occur until tomorrow.

So Nosnibor, if you are premium follow the links I gave in my first post and talk to live help. If you're not then wait until after the restarts tomorrow and if you're not free you'll need to lodge a support ticket - give them the slurl of where the av is and tell them what you've done to try to free yourself.

and keep an eye on this page http://status.secondlifegrid.net/ , it will tell you when they're done tomorrow.

So.. I think the problem is fixed now.

I cleared out my SL cache, I turned off my computer, I unplugged a bunch of stuff. Let everything sit for a couple of minutes. Then, I turned my computer on & logged into SL. Had my start location as "Smith" & crossed my fingers, my toes & a couple of things. I saw there watching & I GOT IN!!!!!!!

I went over to where I saw my ghost & didn't see it there. But I think I teleported to the location I had seen my ghost so maybe I merged with then. But the good thing is I got in! :)

Thanks everybody for your help!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.