I know who the spammer is!

Ishtara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Knowl Paine wrote:

The pace did just quicken after I posted.

Who get's the money? A website? Or is this a denial of service type attack? A anti Lithium company? 

The people behind the L$ exchange website that is being advertised. The site is not covered by LL's Exchange Risk API, which means that buying L$ from them is probably a very bad idea. One that can result in locked accounts if the purchased L$ were originally bought with a stolen credit card, which is often the case with these shady sites that sell virtual currency for extremely low prices. The same goes for L$ sellers on eBay.

Edited to add: By advertising in the official SL forums, they make it look as if their site was legitimate and tolerated by LL. Some newbies might fall for this scam. That's probably why they posted their ad spam on a daily basis for a while back in the old Jive forums.

Ishtara wrote:

Knowl Paine wrote:

The pace did just quicken after I posted.

Who get's the money? A website? Or is this a denial of service type attack? A anti Lithium company? 

The people behind the L$ exchange website that is being advertised. The site is not covered by LL's
, which means that buying L$ from them is probably a very bad idea. One that can result in locked accounts if the purchased L$ were originally bought with a stolen credit card, which is often the case with these shady sites that sell virtual currency for extremely low prices. The same goes for L$ sellers on eBay.

Edited to add: By advertising in the official SL forums, they make it look as if their site was legitimate and tolerated by LL. Some newbies might fall for this scam. That's probably why they posted their ad spam on a daily basis for a while back in the old Jive forums.

it looks to me like the use the same software as the sl marketplace too.

Nina Stepford wrote:

it looks to me like the use the same software as the sl marketplace too.

That could be. LL used a shopping portal solution called Ruby on Rails for the new Marketplace, which is relatively popular.

ETA: I didn't visit their site so far and just went over there to have a look. "Trusty and professional", my posterior :smileyvery-happy:

Whoa, these fly by night outfits are buying L with stolen credit cards?  Ah, now it makes sense.  I've been trying to figure out how any business can stay afloat when they sell L for less than it costs them to get them in the first place.  That they were using stolen cards never occurred to me.

Thanks!!

this particular spammer/site is well known to several online gaming communities, as a pure scam site... they take your cash, and you get nothing....

ETA:
you can change how the site sorts threads, so that recently posted to threads float to the top... which would have been a more sane default

Void Singer wrote:

ETA:

you can change how the site sorts threads, so that recently posted to threads float to the top... which would have been a more sane default

Where do you change that? All I can find in my preferences is this:

• Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Use default (Newest first)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.