Threads against the spam

Ishtara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In my "Report Inappropriate Content" message, I told them they should add "Eingee" to the dirty words list, and *bleep* it out.  that basically would make their posts unreadable (and therefore useless).  The whole point is to get poor suckers to give their credit card numbers, so they can get ripped off.  If you can't even get people to your scam website, there's no point to post here.

There are more active measures they could take, like checking the forum data logs, and block any IP addresses they are using to post from, but they could have done that months ago.

and now you know what proper roles are supposed to prevent.... lol

there should be a board and/or topic limit, with no limits on replies to those topics, so a user can get extended help when new, but NOT wallpaper the entire domain.... with no live links or images during that period. part of that ranking should be based on account age. it should be linked to the same IP as well (to prevent immediate relogging with a new account name)

any account found to be exceeding certain post limits (think multipl number of threads in a given time or across a number of boards in a given time) should be locked down or forcibly returned to starting rank, and a moderator notified of that automated action (then even if no one is around or reporting at the moment, those threads can easily be yanked)

and THAT would work to control spam quite nicely

Ossian wrote:

Ishtara wrote:

As I understood it, the L$ spam'n'scam was one of the reasons for the platform change from Jive to Lithium.

Did they actually say that?  I haven't seen LL give any reasons at all for the change.

They mentioned 6 reasons here (look for the dotted list in bold):
http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/A-New-Community-Platform-Coming-March-2nd/ba-p/676016

I don't remember they mentioned spam as a reason for the change.
I think the main reason was integration of  information that was previously separated & dispersed.

Opensource Obscure wrote:

As expected, after a few hours the problem has been solved. Apparently nobody got hurt in the process.

In the Spanish forum, two users are saying that tried to buy L$ from the spammer, paid and never received the L$. So apparently at least two people were hurt in the process.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.