Why does my avatar hover above the ground? She hovers with and without an AO on.

Libby Guardian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi! I need help! I can't figure out why my avatar hovers above the ground about an inch or two. I tried turning her AO on and off, but that doesn't work. There's no prims attached to her feet to make her hover. Is there a way to get her feet level with the ground? I use Phoenix Viewer the lastest version: 1.5.2.908. I've tried Emergence, but it's just the same thing. Please help! :)

Thank you!!

13 answers to this question

I had this problem once and if I recall correctly, it had something to do with either the shoe base I was wearing...or maybe not wearing...  Sometimes when I make animations, I notice that if I don't account for the avatar wearing shoes, it results in a hovering appearance. 

If this happens only in some places, and not while you are standing on the actual ground, it could be that you are standing on a prim that has a bounding box bigger than the surface you see. The bounding box is what decides the 'borders' of interaction of objects.

- Luc -

After you have checked all the previous suggestions and if you are definately not flying or wearing a shoebase. You can go to Preferencs >> Phoenix >>Avatar tab and adjust your avatar position on the Z axis in those 3 little boxes at the top and that will move your avatar down to the ground.

Thank you everyone for trying to help me. I tried each idea, but none worked. I believe its just Phoenix Viewer. A friend of mine was logged into the same viewer, and said that to her, she looks like she is hovering above the ground, but to me her feet were touching the ground. To her, my feet were touching the ground not hovering. So I gave up and think it's just the viewer.

Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out. :)

Libby Guardian wrote:

Thank you everyone for trying to help me. I tried each idea, but none worked. I believe its just Phoenix Viewer. A friend of mine was logged into the same viewer, and said that to her, she looks like she is hovering above the ground, but to me her feet were touching the ground. To her, my feet were touching the ground not hovering. So I gave up and think it's just the viewer.

Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.
:)

If you are sure that it is the viewer, I would suggest joining the group inworld called "Phoenix Viewer Support", there are always support staff on hand to answer questions in group chat & they are really good.

Also check the JIRA and WIKI on the Phoenix website to see if it is a known problem.

I have the same problem exactly. I too have tried all the normal suggested solutions everyone offers. Some people will see me hovering others will not. When I try to adjust the z axis modifier in phoenix it will not move me lower at all, adjusting it up will work but when trying the negatives it just refuses to put me lower. I'd love to hear about any solutions of any are ever found cause this is really frustrating.

Hey guys!! Well, i just solved the problem! i had the same issue and few mintutes ago i found that this hovering thing has to do with the ''height offset''! I found this in the firestorm viewer (latest version) and you can find this down and right to your screen.Theres a button called ''quick preferences''.Click it and you can see an option ''heigh offset''.All you have to do is move the bar and you can see that this is moving your avatar above the floor or under the floor or in the middle!!

Problem fixed!!

ps. Am really sorry for my english:P

Hi everyone it's an old thread but I found it on Google so people must still be looking here. I had this problem and couldn't find anything. Eventually I fixed the problem by going into the advanced menu (you may have to enable that) and going into show debug settings. I searched debug for "offset" and found it was at 0.6. So I changed that to 0.0. Problem fixed. 

Hi all...

This might be a late answer but I discovered why some avatars hover above the ground even though EVERYTHINGS been detached.  I'VE GOT THE ANSWER.

Go to Edit Appearance>Edit Shape>Body>Hover... And then adjust using the sliders. And then SAVE.(Rename....whatever)

The mouse Right click then Appearance>Hover Height, the sliders should be set to "0".

Hope this helps

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.