Why was the price of lindens raised so drastically?

Nocturnal Amethyst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

The exchange rate for L$ has remained nearly constant since 2011.  See the database at http://gridsurvey.com/lindex.php .  If you want to buy L$7000 today, you will pay roughly $28.  When I joined SL in 2007, the exchange rate was higher, but not dramatically higher.  Even then, I remember paying more than $3 per L$1000, so $7000 would have cost more than $21.  There was a brief period in 2010 when the exchange rate spiked, roughly coincident with the scandal that led to the abolishment of in-world banks.  Otherwise, fluctuations have been unremarkable.

• Like 3

I've managed to find an old email confirming a Lindex purchase in July 2007 shortly after I joined.   I  bought L$10520 for US$40.00, which means the rate was then 263.   It's now about 248.

Your example, L$7,000 for US$8.00,  gives a rate of  875.   I'm sure it's never been anywhere near that since 2007 (other than perhaps during the very brief run on the market in 2010 that Rolig mentions, but that only lasted a day or so).

• Like 3

Memory is an interesting thing. Seldom do we remember things from the good days exactly as they actually were. :D

This incarnation of your presence in SL has been around since 2009.  There is no way you could have ever experienced a regular spell of Linden pricing at the rate you quoted.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.